PCV valve on my TR4A

Hi there,

on request I want to explain with this extra post how the PCV works on my TR4A. Here we go.

The "Positiv Crankcase Ventilation" valve is a active low pressure reducer valve and not a relief valve, what I've been often told.

It connects the inlet manifold with its low pressure with the rocker cover and crankcase to suck the vapours out.

AIL4fc-1x9bmakcASibQdqdc2McHCBfuqMXh-z53

To avoid to suck out too much gas it reduces the "high" low pressure in the manifold (1.0 to 0.3 bar absolute)

down to a low pressure of only 10 - 60 mm watercolumn by a diaphragm, spring, coned valve pin and an orifice.

A cap with a 2 mm breather hole and top spring holds all together.

AIL4fc8L5cGTYxgUZITI8u6zGeTkUQis35k_mTBi

This is decades later from a Volkwagen manual

AIL4fc-CgZ-MUCWi_8Y3i-3qi7ykJR78NRBYWoD0

The valve is made from zinc or aluminium (?) cast and also an oil separator.

Often I've been told its a poor construction because there is always oil in there - well, yeees...its an oil separator, it is oil in there?

To guide the oil back to the rocker cover the PCV valve has to be installed horizontal or slightly forward.

A rim inside keeps the oil away from draining in the orifice.

AIL4fc_VNUAU5NdksshOEm38QR3_8eXQjDqWqtDX

My measurement of the pressure in the rocker cover I did with a closed oil filler cap, this is also the way I drive the car

(now without hose and gauge, of cause).

AIL4fc9Cyb-cakVoWNCQpiWgQmaG0AKdbes4iaAo

AIL4fc8v8cuzn7aPsUcOhq-9nqatWnNq5emg1M9C

AIL4fc_rnNH4_1rzEj84bqbRb_9Bq3qKsSzrumda

While original a vented cap (drilled 1/8") was fitted.

AIL4fc_eoOlYt27YdxNuV2oDriIyJgLB9ZYT4pVh

Nr. 5 und 6 in the sketch above is a anti return valve / flame trap, hidden inside,

but it was visible on my repro PCV valve, because the producer did not assamble the orifice plate correctly.

AIL4fc9_bNNZ1BZ2IMvlLjWfKAI31enPl0EGgO-F

The hose from the PCV valve to the inlet manifold is always clean from oil, the oil separator works perfect.

I did same experiments with the valve with a much bigger breathing hole in the cover (to see inside) on Youtube,

you see how the valve sucks and holds the oil filler cap on the valve cover.

If you still have any question, please ask.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
writing mistakes

Interesting stuff. Why do some of our engines work fine with a PCV valve and others need a separate system with an oil catch tank? Is it the valve or the engine? A PO described my engine as being a 'heavy breather' and fitted a catch tank although there was a PCV included with the car.

Les

3 minutes ago, Les Millington said:

Interesting stuff. Why do some of our engines work fine with a PCV valve and others need a separate system with an oil catch tank? Is it the valve or the engine? A PO described my engine as being a 'heavy breather' and fitted a catch tank although there was a PCV included with the car.

Les

Thats wear! 4a were originally fitted with a PCV valve for US pollution regs as they required closed breathing arrangements. Catch tank fitment has just spilled over from the race fraternity and also the fashion for deleting PCV due to carb/manifold swaps etc.

Stuart.

I'm monitoring the oil consumption more closely now, but it doesn't seem excessive, 100 miles yesterday including quite a bit of 2nd/3rd gear work up and down a steep single track, and the dipstick level hasn't moved. Do get a bit of blue smoke on startup though.

Les

1 hour ago, Les Millington said:

I'm monitoring the oil consumption more closely now, but it doesn't seem excessive, 100 miles yesterday including quite a bit of 2nd/3rd gear work up and down a steep single track, and the dipstick level hasn't moved. Do get a bit of blue smoke on startup though.

Les

FWIW 4 cylinder TR engines are usually better on oil if you only fill to the middle of the high/low mark on the dipstick. Its just what they do.

Stuart.

I had a gut feeling that might be true, hence I've started only filling up to about the 3/4 mark. Many thanks for that Stuart

19 hours ago, Les Millington said:

Les

Hi Les,

this „explanation“ of the PO makes no sense for me,

I guess he did not know what he did and did not understand the PCV valve.

Ciao, Marco

• 1 month later...