I have just been out in the Triumph and it really was not enjoyable. I was in traffic and the engine was hot and the traffic slow and there was a lot of low gear work. It was actually safer in the modern car on the way home and I have been looking forward to taking the car out for a fortnight. I used to enjoy driving in London but I will have to rethink my future outings.

I also find that I am much more polite in the TR than normally. There is a good deal of waiting for others and letting people in than normal. It feels wrong to allow the normal competitive nature of city driving to take over the Triumph as well.

Does any one else find these problems when out and about?

Richard

Hi Richard

I know exactly what you mean. I moved out of West London some 28 years ago and traffic was bad enough then, so you have my sympathy. I rarely go back nowadays except for trips to visit family and NEVER venture into the City anymore - not even by train.

Originally, leafy Farnham in Surrey was bliss, but even these roads now are becoming congested; although an early morning blast in the 3A around the lanes is as great today as it was 20+ years ago in my 6s; but I find I have to get up earlier and earlier to avoid the George and Milreds of this world.

Unless I leave for work by 7am in the 3A it’s a nightmare; I work in Camberley only 12 miles away and it takes 20 minutes – leave after 7:15 and I can add another 15 minutes worth of traffic to that! It doesn’t sound much I know, but it still does me in – driving home after 5pm is even worse!

I guess the answer might be to move further west, but I daresay that’s not much better as the roads are not yours in the tourist season.

Plan on buying in France in a few years, so maybe that’ll do the trick!

Cheers

Andrew

I find a lot of the stress comes from mechanical sources - sitting in jams watching water temp rise and oil pressure drop.

All my little winter jobs are going to be aimed at alleviating both these issues so I can idle in a jam and not be fretting about the engine.

I too watch the dials non stop and currently the cooling is working well. But with the hood up and visibility less than usual I find that I am waiting at the lights next to enormous lorries and finding it some way from the interesting outing which I had planned.

Yours

Richard

I have "gauge paranoia" too!, even with an electric fan.

One thing I've noticed is that overtaking seems to be taboo. And if you want to make brisk progress usually past George and Mildred doing 40mph in a National Speed Limit , it seems to annoy them.

weird :blink:

Adey

PS: I refuse to intentionally go into city centres with the TR since someone threw an egg at my car, cracking the paint on the bonnet (I was doing 25-30 mph) and covering the bonnet (which was hot), windscreen and interior with egg. :angry: It took ages to carefully remove cooked egg off the bonnet, glass rubber and leather seats and even longer to calm down! (actually, I don't think I have yet...)

..........sitting in jams watching water temp rise and oil pressure drop.
I too watch the dials non stop ...........
I have "gauge paranoia" too!, even with an electric fan.

I think being a habitual “gauge watcher” is all part of TR ownership – sometimes the most exciting part!! :D

Adey - How long did it take you to extract your boot from their dark side? Seriously, that's not a pleasant experience - what city was it, so we can all avoid it?

Cheers

Andrew

We should persevere, though! I took the 3 into the centre of Newcastle this am.. Gorgeous weather, and as usual there were queues from Gateshead to the Tyne Bridge - thus important to watch the temp. gauge and engage the elec. fan! But when I got into town and parked in Grey Street I was pleasantly surprised at the interest folk showed - and Newcastle isn't particularly classic car-minded (you don't see that many old cars on the road). It was nice, on aeroscreens, travelling back, to go past an MX-5 on the Tyne bridge (it had the roof up of course).

Finally this afternoon I got around to wiring up the electric fan properly - through the relay which Jonlar kindly supplied earlier in the year. Slightly less chance of spontaneous combustion now - thanks, Jon!

Tim.

Last year, whilst in the centre of Florence on honeymoon, there was a bright red, Italian registered 3A parked outside one of the "posh" shops. I had a chat with the owner who was really enthusiastic about the car (which was in superb condition).

All those lovely Italian cars to choose from and he picks one of Britain's best :D

Made my day! (but don't tell the missus) ;)

adey

My wife and I had an unpleasant experience on the Old Kent Road, South London in July. This was coming back from an abortive trip to the International weekend after getting soaked, getting as far as Cheltenham. Was not happy was an understatement.

Some wXXXXr, in a Lexus, in the space of 1/2 mile, cut me up 3 times, (deliberately) and wouldn`t get out of his car. The tXXXXr!

His luck was in when I remembered that my wife was with me and that the front bumpers on my `3B were rechromed originals.

Had I been in my town runabout, he would never had forgotten me!

This was on a Sunday about 11am!

..............I`ve had this problem before where you get people cut in front of you, knowing that you will give way to them. I`ve also had water bombs thrown at me when following a bubble car convoy in London.

................but overall, for every bad experience, I`ve had a hundred good ones!

Julian

When I was driving to VTR in Colorado in 2001, the trip was 2524 miles to get there. I was driving alone in my TR3A (without a mobile telephone). I watch my gauges about every 15 minutes. I have a ritual to keep me alert and to keep me sane. "The temperature is OK, oil pressure is good, I have enough petrol and the volts read OK". And I sing "Oh What a beautiful morning" to keep myself company. In northeast Colorado, I started another game. I timed the time between cars that were going the other way. The average was about 12 to 15 minutes between and the longest time was 20 minutes before a car passed me going the other way. And I was driving about 75 mph at the time.

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A

TR Register member since 1987

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trebor/don3a_big.JPG

It sounds very empty. There must be some disadvantages to living in Colorado, and your president may be one of them. How are old cars accepted in your part of the world? There are obviously enthusiasts and but if you park up in the shopping mall are the general public on your side or not.

Yours

Richard

My wife and I had an unpleasant experience on the Old Kent Road, South London in July. This was coming back from an abortive trip to the International weekend after getting soaked, getting as far as Cheltenham. Was not happy was an understatement.

Some wXXXXr, in a Lexus, in the space of 1/2 mile, cut me up 3 times, (deliberately) and wouldn`t get out of his car. The tXXXXr!

His luck was in when I remembered that my wife was with me and that the front bumpers on my `3B were rechromed originals.

Had I been in my town runabout, he would never had forgotten me!

This was on a Sunday about 11am!

..............I`ve had this problem before where you get people cut in front of you, knowing that you will give way to them. I`ve also had water bombs thrown at me when following a bubble car convoy in London.

................but overall, for every bad experience, I`ve had a hundred good ones!

Julian

There was a time when old cars were greeted by all and sundry in a positive manner. There are always deviant drivers, some of whom I meet every day in West London. I usually let them go. I also drive with my door locks on. I am getting older but things seem more aggressive than they were.

Richard

Richard - There are not many cars of any kind in rural Colorado. Where I drive, everyone is smiling when they see me out in my TR3A. Other drivers slow down beside me to give me the pleasant thumbs up sign. I don't drive in "bad" parts of cities. In North America, we rarely see an antique car driving by. The owners must be saving them for "what". When they see one (like my TR3A), all I get are civilized polite positive reactions.

As a Canadian, the Queen is my queen, but the US president is not mine.

http://www.triumphest2006.com/images/clubc...tt'str3.jpg

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A, Montreal, Canada

Please excuse my mistake. I thought that you were from USA. Thank you for your input. What can yuo do if you suffer a TR moment and the dynamo gives out. It sounds as though help might be a long way away.

Yours

Richard

Richard - In 2000, that's exactly what happened. I was convoying with Garry Altwasser in his red TR3A when my generator stopped working. We were in Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming about 2500 miles from home. It was daytime and I drove another 45 miles to get out of the park to the nearest petrol station where we filled up. Naturally, my TR3A wouldn't start. I have a crank but the battery was really dead. What did we do ? It took less than 5 minutes. WE SWOPPED BATTERIES ! Mine started with Garry's battery and we gave him a rolling push start to get going. Two days later, we arrived in Portland Oregon with my battery nicely re-charged in Garry's car and I still had battery power from Garry's battery in mine. One of the first people I saw when we arrived was Bob Reinhold, another original owner who had driven his TR3A from Laguna Hills in southern California. He sold me his spare generator for £25 and a couple of hours later, everything was back to normal. That trip totalled 7250 miles. TR friends are so nice (helpful).

Don Elliott

Edited by Don Elliott