Side screen repair

I have bought a pair of second hand side screens that are better than my existing ones. They need a bit of work. Suggestions please for what to use to stick the trim back on LH screen, under the tape. The RH sliding part is cracked & I dont think its possible to get it out without dismantling the whole screen. I'm thinking to stick some perspex type material in a strip over the crack. What to use & what to stick it with? The small raised bit on the outside to slide it has come adrift & needs re sticking.

RH Screen.jpg

LH screen.jpg

The thick perspex screen should come out by positioning it half way along, the carefully bending it so it bows inwards, the top should then be able to be pulled out of its slot.  You can buy perspex cement, or make your own using tiny "crumbs" of ground up perspex dissolved in chloroform. Cant help about the fabric at the front, why not take the tape off & see what you are left with, it may be possible to re-stitch.

Bob

Make sure the frames fit your car before you refurbish them.   Whacking them about with a mallet and a blow torch when they are nicely retrimmed can cause fabric damage

I find that perspex goes brittle over the years (like us) and will snap easily.
The front fixed part of the sidescreen can be replaced by most of our favourite suppliers -at a price - and then has to be stitched in. I got mine done by a local boat upholstery man, but then I’m lucky as I live near boats and the sea.

Alternatively you can buy a sheet of Cobex and cut it to size yourself, but if it is unbreakable, it scratches very easily.

james

I replace the front screen on one of mine with polycarbonate. Used a tiny drill to make the stitching holes along the front, the re-stitched through existing holes in the fabric.

Bob

50 minutes ago, james christie said:

You’re a patient man with impressive dexterity, sir!

Cobex is a trade name for polycarbonate - at least, over here.

james

Cobex is the correct UK trade name for the plastic window material too.   I think Martrim stock it

I will get the best fit I can before I do any repairs. The clear front part of the screens is sound, its the rigid sliding part I need to fix.

23 hours ago, james christie said:

You’re a patient man with impressive dexterity, sir!

Cobex is a trade name for polycarbonate - at least, over here.

james

Cobex is the correct UK trade name for the plastic window material too.   I think Martrim stock it.  

Moss UK used to sell the sliding window as a spare part.   Worth asking them or Coventry Hood and Tonneau if they can supply 

I've just refurbished my sidescreens as all four windows were either cracked or broken and the channels corroded.

To stick the loose material down, I used tigerseal, I  purchased rubber channel from vintage car parts and the four windows and the strengthening strip from Moss. The channel was again tigersealed into place with the non moving front thin windows. I found that to fit the thicker perspex rear ones, dumping them for five minutes in a bowl of hot water allowed them to be flexible enough to bend into the new channels. If anyone is interested in tge finished article, I'll photograph them later.

Yes please photos. Moss have complete screens & corbex flex widow but nor rigid sliding part. Rimmer Bros & Revington TR have the sliding part. I want to get the cracked sliding window out in one piece if possible so maybe a little warming with a hair drier may help.

Had two sudden thoughts!

I said Moss do have the sliding parts...should have said that they had the sliding parts two weeks ago!

And the reason that I used hot water and not a heat gun was that I was concerned that it may discolour the perspex (fine for heating the old one though!)