The country roads round here in Sussex  are a bit rough with pot holes and broken edges. I try to keep the TR3A on smooth surfaces. Recently there has been some noise from the nearside rear wheel area. Yesterday I removed the wheel which was a firm fix after the new extensions and wheels. I was looking for signs of shining steel. The only clue to the noise  was the rubber bump stop which had rotated. It was fixed with the wires and also double cable ties crossed over. How do I line up the check strap so that the bump stop is fully restrained with the car on the hydraulic jack out in the drive ?

Is it worth upgrading to a poly kit and should the bump stop be glued to the axle with some resin ???

Last night I watched Wheeler Dealers and they worked on a TR6 and a TR7. Their repairs  are much quicker than mine ??

Any advice would be useful

Thanks Richard & B

Sounds like the axle retainer hoop above tge bump stop on the axle is not adjusted properly. Slack the two nuts and whack the hoop with a mallet so the centre of the hoop is above the centre of the axle tube and pushed towards the centre of the car so the hoop will abut the bump stop on full bump.  Re tighten the two nuts either side after adjustment.

Had this issue on my car when we replaced the axle last month.    I fitted a pair of freshly powder coated spare axle bump hoops and they did not line up until I persuaded them with a mallet.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
5 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Sounds like the axle retainer hoop above tge bump stop on the axle is not adjusted properly. Slack the two nuts and whack the hoop with a mallet so the centre of the hoop is above the centre of the axle tube and pushed towards the centre of the car so the hoop will abut the bump stop on full bump.  Re tighten the two nuts either side after adjustment.

Had this issue on my car when we replaced the axle last month.    I fitted a pair of freshly powder coated spare axle bump hoops and they did not line up until I persuaded them with a mallet.

Very often have to do this as they very rarely line up for some reason.

Stuart.

I need advice on how to attach the bump stop more securely than the wire option. I am keen on some adhesive and is it worth upgrading to Polykit.

Thanks 

Richard & B

6 minutes ago, Richardtr3a said:

I need advice on how to attach the bump stop more securely than the wire option. I am keen on some adhesive and is it worth upgrading to Polykit.

Thanks 

Richard & B

I use the original type   I clamp them with a chain wrench then wire lock in place

B0B36D24-DBF4-497B-A7FC-835E097A9116.jpeg

I spent yesterday afternoon fitting the bump stop in the right position on my axle. I was expecting about one hour, no chance. The hoop  was hand adjusted until I used the mallet which was the best option. I had trouble holding  the rubber stop in the correct position and the wires did not work. I used 2 pack adhesive and some cable ties which pulled it in tight. The instructions were  "leave for 16 hours." So I will wait until tomorrow and check by driving over our local roads !!

The bump stop was 45 degrees out and I am hoping that the noise will have gone away.

Richard & B