Some years ago I fitted a solid state regulator to my TR3A. It was a DVR 3-P made by Dynamo Regulators Ltd. It made a great improvement immediately because there were no points to clean/adjust and my ammeter never went to charge. The needle stayed central. 

I was very satisfied with this for many years. I did notice that if you used the headlights ,and/or the heater fan, the ammeter would show discharge. I have been OK with this for a long time but I decided to upgrade this spring. I called the company but they now only do Motor Cycle electrical parts. I was advised to upgrade from 16 amps to 22 amps and they told to contact Electro Dynamic Solutions. Before I start with someone new I need to know if my existing dynamo will work properly with a 22 amp solid state regulator. How can I tell by looking in the engine bay , oily and dark. or are all TR dynamo made to cope.

I am hoping that there are members on this forum who are better at electrics than me.

Thanks Richard & B

If you are determined to stick to the dynamo Richard, a 22Amp  regulator is a better match than the one you have at present which is rather weedy.  The original electro-mechanical one would have been 22 Amp. 

I am puzzled though why your ammeter never registered a charge and why it shows a discharge when the lights are on with the engine running.  It should show a charge immediately after starting, as the battery is recharged, and should not register a discharge unless the dynamo isn't capable of supplying the lights.  It makes me think your ammeter is wired incorrectly. 

The ammeter should be in series with the battery to the regulator,  but it sounds as though your battery is wired directly to the regulator with the ammeter teed off to just the loads. 

dyn.jpg.27744b91828b5a14311e581da8e88df0.jpg

Edited by RobH

Thanks for the reply Rob. I think that I will leave the regulator alone until the spring weather starts.  Battery used to need regular servicing and now it never needs any top up at all. I do not drive much at night but there is always an element of worry . When the sun comes out I may upgrade the regulator to 22 amps unless I am advised to leave it alone and enjoy the TR.

Thanks for your help Richard & B