Painting Brake Calipers

I have bought new upgraded front calipers and also a new disc brake conversion for the rear - all the cast iron variety, not alloy. Consequently I have brand new painted calipers of gold and silver done in the usual brake caliper paint. I want red!

I'm trying to work out the best way to prepare the surfaces .....

• I could grit blast (have DIY facilities) but risking grit ingress and I don't really want to remove pistons + rubbers.
  • I could use a dremmil, etc, to remove the paint.
  • I could leave it and hope new paint sticks.
  • Is there an etching paint / primer I could use first.
  • I also know that unless I strip down the calipers into pieces I would be brush painting so will not have perfect edges in places. Is it safe to strip down the calipers into components?
  • I suppose I could see if Bigg Red couls do this for me.

I am using POR Brake Caliper paint. https://www.frost.co.uk/por15-caliper-painting-kit-black/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjM2f28DE_QIVE2HmCh0m5A0CEAQYAiABEgJxavD_BwE  I have used POR 15 stuff before several times so know about its Metal Prep but still feel the paint needs removing first.

Richard, I do this:

1. take the calipers apart

2. glassblasting

3. zinc plated

4. primer

5. paint

6. assembly (new or re-use pistons, new bolts, new O-Ring)

7. overall paint again

In my opinion, if you want to do this, do it right.

IMG_8938.JPG

Edited by JochemsTR

Do be aware if you strip the callipers then you need to know the torque settings for the through bolts, theyre not all the same, personally I wouldnt strip just carefully mask to repaint. Also are you going racing? As the standard brake system does work very well provided its maintained properly.

Stuart.

16 hours ago, stuart said:

Do be aware if you strip the callipers then you need to know the torque settings for the through bolts,

7/16" - 95-101 Nm

3/8" - 55-61 Nm

Edited by JochemsTR
5 hours ago, JochemsTR said:

7/16" - 95-101 Nm

3/8" - 55-61 Nm

Only applicable to standard calipers , OP  has non standard ones so quite probably they are different. Not really something to experiment with.

Stuart.

Thanks guys.

I really feel I do not want to strip the calipers. Just feel it is a bit risky.

The front are BEK486UR TR6 - Front Brake calipers and Disc upgrade and the rear are from the Wolfitt disc conversion kit which are MGF calipers.

I did not know of the POR 15 help line so that's my next point of call. Thanks for that.

16 hours ago, Richard Pope said:

Thanks guys.

I really feel I do not want to strip the calipers. Just feel it is a bit risky.

The front are BEK486UR TR6 - Front Brake calipers and Disc upgrade and the rear are from the Wolfitt disc conversion kit which are MGF calipers.

I did not know of the POR 15 help line so that's my next point of call. Thanks for that.

TBH  cant see that the calipers are much of an upgrade as they take the standard pad size and the discs are just drilled and grooved and in normal use wont make any difference. You might want to check the brake balance too if fitting discs to the rear

Stuart.

45 minutes ago, Richard Pope said:

Because I needed all new stuff and the cost was the same. Yes, of course I will put in a bias control valve.

You may also find the "Green stuff" brake pads a bit wooden, they can be an acquired taste.

Stuart.

... and POR15's reply was:

It would be best to remove the paint that is on the calipers now if possible or at least sand the coating. Then Use our Cleaner Degreaser and Metal Prep followed with one coat of POR-15 Rust Preventive Coating. When the POR-15 has just dried and still has a slight finger drag apply the Caliper Paint. Black POR-15 will work but you may need to apply several coats of the Caliper Paint to cover the black POR-15.

1 minute ago, Richard Pope said:

... and POR15's reply was:

It would be best to remove the paint that is on the calipers now if possible or at least sand the coating. Then Use our Cleaner Degreaser and Metal Prep followed with one coat of POR-15 Rust Preventive Coating. When the POR-15 has just dried and still has a slight finger drag apply the Caliper Paint. Black POR-15 will work but you may need to apply several coats of the Caliper Paint to cover the black POR-15.

I would leave them as they are then.

Stuart.