B post seat belt anchor - welded nut?

I am being super cautious so asking what I am confident is obvious.

The post title says it all. I want to replace the trim panels above the rear wheel arches. They are secured partly by the seat belt bolt. Everything I have read assumes that there is a welded nut inside the B post to which the bolt securing the end of the seat belt is attached. Is this in fact the case? Logic says they should be as the B post is enclosed. Don’t want to undo it then find I have a massive problem re securing the bolt!

Having removed the seats and runners to replace the carpets, it was great to find that the nuts were welded to the floor plan unlike my 3A when I spent ages scrabbling under the car to re secure all the runners and seat bolt nuts after installing a new carpet.

Thanks for your indulgence!

Miles

14 minutes ago, MilesA said:

Thanks guys. I’ll get spannering!

Miles

Do be aware that area is very often rotten and if the seat belt bolt is really tight get plenty of penetrating fluid in there as the bolt is slightly longer than the depth of nut and often has a couple of rusty threads sticking out the other side. If it comes undone a bit then goes tight get some lube on the threads and wind it in and out a few times.

Good luck.

Stuart.

Well, an update.

I started to release anchor bolts with some trepidation but they came out without any drama. A little surface rust colour on the end of the bolts and in the thread but otherwise fine and the base of the B post are solid. Copperslip on the way back in I think unless there are any other suggestions.

The bolts for the seat belt swivels on the top of the wheel arch were much more challenging, requiring copious amounts of penetrating fluid and repeated winding in and out as Stuart advised. In fact one of them is still in place after a couple of hours. Winds about half way out, then gets tight and tighter and then binds solid. Was going to get a nut on the end of the bolt in the wheel arch but of course I have every size nut except a 7/16 UNF and don't want to damage the two that hold the reels (which came off easily). So if the penetrating fluid hasn't done the job when I can next face the freezing lock up, I will try using my battery Dremel with a wire wheel and running a die along the end of the offending bolt 

Thanks all

Miles

Good news - the die did it.

Bad news - when I pulled the vinyl off the wheel arch I could see the garage floor through th the gap between the arch and rotting edge of the rear shelf.

Hey, ho.

Miles

1 hour ago, MilesA said:

Good news - the die did it.

Bad news - when I pulled the vinyl off the wheel arch I could see the garage floor through th the gap between the arch and rotting edge of the rear shelf.

Hey, ho.

Miles

Thats not entirely unusual, welcome to my world! ;)

Stuart.