TR3A Carpet Fittings

I have purchased a set of carpets and under-felt from Jon Skinner along with the fasteners. In removing the old carpets I had to take out some screws which held the kick boards in place. I would like to glue the minimum number of pieces that I can. Does anyone have a definitive guide to fitting the carpets, where the fasteners should go etc, for a pre-60000 TR3A?

Happy New Year and happy motoring in 2023,

Mark

When I bought my TR3 (a post 60K), in 1964, it had it's original rubber floor mats. Perhaps carpets were optional? I added carpets some time later. I used no glue at all. There were clips on the inside of the front foot wells that held the front edge of the carpets. The clips were in place although the carpets were not. The seat rail fasteners held the back of the front carpets and the front of the rear pieces. I used jute underneath which I think came with the carpet set, which turned out to be a bad idea. Otherwise just gravity. There was a finished edge that butted the sill “kick plate”, which made it easier to remove the carpets, which I did many times over the years.

Not sure if any of this was "original".

Tom

Hello All, 

What about the tunnel carpet ? No buttons required either?

I am faced with the same challenge shortly and same as Mark by all means, I want to avoid glue.

If anyone has pictures of the original button locations available this would be really helpful.

Further question would be: To my understanding aluminum rivets are used to rivet the buttons to the chassis. Is this correct ? I would be a little concerned as aluminum obviously does not go very well with steel....

Oliver

These are the front clips for the carpet/rubber mats.  It has clips and durable dots/veltex fasteners.   Same sort of fastener the roof of  4-6 is attached with.

Do you have single or 3 piece tunnel carpets?  

I think they are secured by durable dot or veltex fasteners on the tunnel and ting and spike in the carpet.  At least that is what my car has.    Early 3A.

9EB823D9-DE6A-4427-BCF4-322C6A289E47.jpeg

C2F095C0-D04E-4396-BE14-F920BFE0F173.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks for the replies so far. I am trying to avoid the use of glue. I fitted the central yoke on the firewall above the gearbox first. It is partially held in place by the dip switch bracket on the rhs and on the left it is friction held by the temperature gauge cable and oil pressure pipe on the lhs. I then fitted the gearbox tunnel piece. There were two press studs on the tunnel, I put two more aft of the gear stick. I have cut holes in the under felt and so the carpet is holding it in place. 
Next I fitted the panels on the firewall with two fasteners at the top. Again the under felt is held in place by the fasteners going through it. The bottom will fold under the front floor carpet. 
That’s as far as I have progressed so far. I intend to secure the front carpets with four fasteners and the rear with the seat runners. That just leave the rear pieces to come up with a scheme for. 
Mark