Oil pressure relief valve !

22 hours ago, Tim D. said:

Is the rocker shaft really an issue with oil pressure as it has a metered dose from the machined flat on the camshaft. And at best is just a dribble feed. 

Tim

Unless you have an auxiliary rocker feed. In which case it can send a lot of oil up there. Particularly if the banjo is unrestricted.

5 hours ago, Andy Moltu said:

Unless you have an auxiliary rocker feed. In which case it can send a lot of oil up there. Particularly if the banjo is unrestricted.

Very true! But surely no one is using one if those any more :)

15 minutes ago, Tim D. said:

Very true! But surely no one is using one if those any more :)

Funnily enough I came across one recently so yes they are still around.

Stuart.

14 hours ago, Andy Moltu said:

The external rocker feeds are ok if the banjo is restricted to 1.5mm.

Which most arent, theyre usually fitted straight out of the box which is the problem.

Stuart.

oil pressure update! 

Having looked back through the cars history file I see the engine was fitted with new +20 mains and a new oil pump a year before I bought it . No big end bearings or crank grind at that time tho’.    
I’ve checked Oil pressure gauge with a test gauge and it seems cock on ! 

I also contacted Chris Witor , initially regarding his oil pumps, but we went through all the symptoms and he was of the opinion that the problem still lies with the prv not seating well.  He suggested using a 9/16 drill bit to clean the internal face which tends to collect swarf etc from rebuilds . 
I found an old drill bit and cut it down to fit in but decided i’d best take a look first.  endoscope arrived today and the pic shows the internal face , not quite the ‘smoking gun’ I had hoped for tho’ 

Sorry , rather unclear photo. 

17B6E4D6-0905-4453-BFD5-84E7D241C55E.jpeg

1 hour ago, Andy Moltu said:

Have you got a spin on conversion.

If it is the type that isn't spring loaded, has the inner o ring seal been misaligned or not sealing?

I fitted a spin on filter conversion the first time I changed the oil , (oil pressure was better initially but that was down to new oil ) . I was careful to ensure the o rings aligned correctly.  
Oil pressure has been fairly constant in the 2 1/2 years I’ve had the car which has always been a concern . 
At least it hasn’t got any worse,  but obviously the previous owner also tried to improve things with a new pump and mains . 

13 minutes ago, Trumpy said:

The grub screw is in place on the rocker shaft but the opposite ( front) end is open . Has internal threads and a split pin through but no bung . Should it be closed off ? 
sure I’ve seen this mentioned somewhere but can’t find it now . 

Actually on closer inspection I think there is a bung but inside the split pin . 
All seem ok in there , but surprised the end rockers are allowed to float laterally. Should there be shims ?