TR6 Trunnion pot

Having just rebuilt my front suspension and fitted new discs, callipers and pads too, I have taken it for a short run and found the trunnion pots are rubbing against the brake discs both sides of the car. They are not touching when the car is stationary but you can hear them rubbing when driving and the marks can bee seen on the discs. Is this because the trunnion bolt is too tight? I did it slightly less torque than suggested but it was still tight and the vertical link would move but it was tight, so could this be the problem?

You havent got the flat of the nut aligned parallel to the disc and have you got the correct lock stops fitted.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

You havent got the flat of the nut aligned parallel to the disc and have you got the correct lock stops fitted.

Stuart.

The nut goes no where near the disc on straight driving, when the noise happens. You can see the disc marks through the back plate hole, so I think im going to release the castle nut one flat and try that.

1 hour ago, jonziggy said:

The nut goes no where near the disc on straight driving, when the noise happens. You can see the disc marks through the back plate hole, so I think im going to release the castle nut one flat and try that.

You dont understand what I meant, when you go to full lock the cross bolt stays where it is so the disc swivels towards it, if the nut doesnt have a flat towards the disc then they can touch, also do you have the lock stops fitted? The trunnion bolt needs to be set up correctly as per the workshop manual, undoing it isnt going to help you and is incorrect.

Stuart.

15 minutes ago, stuart said:

You dont understand what I meant, when you go to full lock the cross bolt stays where it is so the disc swivels towards it, if the nut doesnt have a flat towards the disc then they can touch, also do you have the lock stops fitted? The trunnion bolt needs to be set up correctly as per the workshop manual, undoing it isnt going to help you and is incorrect.

Stuart.

15 minutes ago, stuart said:

Stuart.

The rubbing only happens when driving straight, so full lock is not an issue, and no it doesn't touch on full lock anyway.  The trunnion pot has one bolt through it, whats to set up, apart from the torque? The lock stops are fitted, but again, its only a problem in a straight line. 

12 minutes ago, jonziggy said:

The rubbing only happens when driving straight, so full lock is not an issue, and no it doesn't touch on full lock anyway.  The trunnion pot has one bolt through it, whats to set up, apart from the torque? The lock stops are fitted, but again, its only a problem in a straight line. 

12 minutes ago, jonziggy said:

My other train of thought is that the wheel seems to be slightly leaning inwards at the bottom, so releasing the castle nut a little will allow the suspension to settle correctly as i torqued it all before putting the weight on the wheels. Then retighten it of course.

Are you sure its part of the trunnion touching the disc then? Have you jacked it up under the spring pan to ride height and then spun the wheel, any chance of a picture?

Stuart.

Hi ?,

I guess I know what happened but I will not tell you.

Because you are on my list of "Persons who never tell their name, only ask questions and never say thank you",

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
6 hours ago, stuart said:

Are you sure its part of the trunnion touching the disc then? Have you jacked it up under the spring pan to ride height and then spun the wheel, any chance of a picture?

Stuart.

+1 for a photo. I had this happen once when the split pins in the castellated nut contacted the disc . All was clear & OK on the car jacks but the split pins contacted when the wheel was operating in it's loaded position, full lock.

I have finally found the problem today, it was the new brake callipers I fitted rubbing on the disc, I have refurbished the old ones, and painted them too , and now they are fitted the problem has gone!  Thanks for all the possible issue solutions, they all helped.

Edited by jonziggy