Odd (to me) wiper motor wiring

Whilst cleaning up the corner around the wiper motor, I came across some wiring that doesn’t appear on the diagrams and some amateur connections. 

The motor has a block with the four standard, correctly coloured cables from the switch and the fuse box and a further earth cable exiting the block. 

However, there are also two groups of three cables attached to the motor. The first  is three standard size pvc cables in light blue, yellow and pink(?). The second group are much thinner cables of indeterminate colours (yellow, black, dark blue???) and possibly braided. One cable from each group is crudely attached to one from the other group. It is a very confined space and difficult to see clearly but I got a few photos. 

Any explanations? The wipers work perfectly well. 

0DF6FBE1-D9BF-4720-B038-3B10A032AC91.thumb.jpeg.c45250490e08980c7b81438f77ca7b4d.jpeg

31D5B938-A2E5-431B-8FFB-8160BA73D70F.thumb.jpeg.6cacfc9e4f6a88f079235125705a79ee.jpeg

Many thanks

Miles

035D4CF1-88A3-4B20-AE02-E7630CCDF822.jpeg

Has someone tried to add a flick-wipe function or perhaps an intermittent wipe?  Have you found where the extra wires go?

Hi Miles,

the wiring diagrams tend to  show the colours between the motor connector and the switch. 

The three wires from the actual motor are different

Very possibly  Red/Yellow/blue.

They all need removing, tidying up. replacing with the correct lay out

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Thanks for the responses.

Rob

The ‘non-standard’ wires go nowhere. They are attached/ emerge from the motor and are just connected to each other with old tape creating 3 loops. 

Your speculation may be right but there are no additional switches in the cabin. Choice is to cut them off or just leave them tucked away as the wipers work normally. 

Roger

I do have the correct wiring in addition to this odd stuff. You can just see the block in this photo with the correct cables that emerge from the loom. 

5D9DF047-36A3-41FB-A00B-7439F534C8D8.thumb.jpeg.e0f8fa6959d46934c6c9ceb5988a7595.jpeg

Miles

IIRC when I stripped mine there was Red/Yellow and blue wires going the three brushes same as the pic below taken from Bullfire site. It comes apart ok can't remember any issues putting it back together besides someone has being there already by the looks of it! Other than my park switch is kaput it works ok

Andy. 

SDC11055a.JPG

Edited by PodOne
grammer

Gosh Andy, thanks. That site is brilliant and a picture is worth a thousand words. Here is another from the site. 

65E1EED9-334E-41EB-8A96-BA60D1B25094.thumb.jpeg.2111409f0c77daf6b1148814ebec892a.jpeg

The red, blue and yellow wires go from the bushes to the motor park unit - the larger of the two plastic blocks on the right above. The block with the ‘standard’ cables shown in my picture above, plugs into the smaller plastic block on the left.
I therefore think / hope that the three smaller wires I can see are attached to the motor park unit at one end and at the other, to the original three red, blue and yellow cables which for some reason have had their clips removed and been disconnected from the motor park unit. 

I will try and get a better sight of it all using a small mirror to confirm. Such an awkward position! The park unit connectors are on the underside right in the corner of the bay!

Don’t worry Roger. I won’t be taking the motor apart - I know my limitations and ugly though it all looks, it works at present!

Thanks everyone. Within a couple of hours this evening I think you have unravelled the mystery!

Miles

Of course my OCD tendency will mean that the state of that wiring will irritate me. How difficult is it to separate the motor from the rack so that I can get at the wiring which is presently pretty inaccessible? Within my level of incompetence Roger?

Miles

Hi MIles,

quite easy but tedious.

Unscrew the big nut holding motor to the rack rods.

Unscrew the three motor attachment bolts.  This may give enough access

Otherwise -  remove the lid, lift off the rack attachment.

Depending on what you find there are spares in order to replace looms etc   item #85  short loom

Roger