I followed the usual instructions to adjust the slave push rod on my TR3A . It was awkward to reach and I adjusted it to the recommended 1/10th inch. It was very difficult to fit the spring back in place after tightening the locknut.

In the garden if felt very smooth and I was hopeful that it was going to be easier to use the clutch. I drove two miles round the block and the clutch starts to connect when the pedal is moved a very small amount. 

Can any one tell me how far the clutch pedal should move before the clutch starts to bite? Tomorrow I will try again and need some advice, pedal movement and spring connection ??

Thanks Richard and B.

Thanks Bob. It looks very damp outside and it is my daughter's birthday so I may have to leave it until the sun comes back tomorrow. I have a special air bleeding tool so I will try asap. I also promised to trim the Wisteria at the week end and I didn't start.

Thanks

Richard & B

I adjust the clutch slave cyl rod until there is no play, i.e. the thrust race is touching the pressure plate. I then back it off a few thou.

Doing it by the book I find impossible. Every time I do it iaw the manual I end up with no clutch or it takes up 1/2" from the floor with crunching gear changes.

Thanks John. That is useful advice. I will try it tomorrow morning as long as the rain holds off. For many years I had the wrong mounting plate for the slave cylinder. Mine should be Girling and after changing it the rod lines up with the correct hole. But then I had trouble bleeding the system and ,of course, I should have had the correct rod as well.. My local garage offered to bleed the system and changed the rod at the same time.

Tuesday morning for an air bleeding session at home, and then adjustment as above unless anyone has another idea.

Thanks for the help.

Richard & B.

Hi,

I made a special hook from some old coat hanger in the garage. It was then  easy to stretch and remove/replace the spring. I then altered the push rod length and the clutch pedal was harder to push and only allowed the clutch to engage when at a high position next to the brake pedal . So the best place is between these two positions. After two more attempts the pedal is normal  and the gear change is smooth. I used a feeler gauge and ended up with about -075 clearance.

I drove round the block again and the clutch and gearbox are working as normal. So it was a useful morning, a small shower but now bright sun. The TR is in the garage and the dog and I are setting off on a walk at 12.30  before lunch.

P,S.The rear RHS wheel suspension is making a creaking noise as the clutch is engaged, but is quiet when driving. Any suggestions.

Thanks for the help Richard & B