The International is dead - Long Live the International!

And now - with motor racing!

The disappointment of many at the collapse of the Stafford IWE can only be lifted by the prospect of the Three Clubs IWE in 2023.

This is especially true for Triumph motorsport competitors, because the lead club in 2023 will be the MG Car Club.      Their MG Live! show is at Silverstone, and that includes motor racing all weekend!      The MG and Cockshoot Cups are for cars of the TR and small chassis era, but I would not suggest they are included in the same races. 

Instead, I've messaged the MGCC to point out that a full grid of Triumphs can be achieved, and to ask them to include a Triumph race in the programme.   I don't know the date for 2023, but this year it was the second weekend in June, so please keep that in mind for your next season's racing!

John

Edited by john.r.davies

John,

I question your optimistic view that "....a full grid of Triumphs can be achieved...." Admirable as it would be, I think getting 20 Triumph race cars together would be a big ask these days, let alone a full grid which is around 35 to 45 cars depending on which circuit layout is being used at Silverstone.

Sadly the reality is that a good many Triumph race cars seem to have disappeared in the last few seasons. We get usually 3 or 4 in the CSCC Swinging 60s, max 5. Richard Culverhouse at the CMMC gets 3 or 4 with an unusual 6 at his recent Silverstone meet. Equipe GTS have a few FIA TR4s and I'm aware of only 3 or 4 small chassis Spitfire/GT6/Vitesse, etc regularly competing. Even getting all those out together would be a slim grid and the fact is that some of them only do a very restricted number of races each year.

Good luck with your MGCC approach for a Triumph race in 2023. While not wanting to sound too negative, I suspect that it will struggle to gain sufficient support.

Dave McD

You are, of course, correct, Dave, but don't hit me with those negative waves, man!

Think positive!    I got 20 "Sporting TRs" for the Malvern display and there were several more who preferred to go racing.     There were some small chassis Triumphs as well, but I wouldn't know about that, would I?

You don't ask, you don't get.

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Run it as a sprint round and I think you’ll get quite a few

What a good idea, Hamish!   With least four MG race series racing, a Triump sprint event would be a change.  But I fear that sprints, one at a time, take far longer than a race, so may not be a starter, as it were.

Does your "licence to sprint" let you race as well?

John

30 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

What a good idea, Hamish!   With least four MG race series racing, a Triump sprint event would be a change.  But I fear that sprints, one at a time, take far longer than a race, so may not be a starter, as it were.

Does your "licence to sprint" let you race as well?

John

I am pretty sure not.  You need to do the ‘race school’ to qualify for a circuit licence.