HOT TAPPET SETTINGS TR4

Rocker shims at 0.010" thickness can be obtained from Moss [part TT1018C]. I obtained shims at The Bearing Company sized at  at 17 x 24 x 0.1 and 0.5mm

Further work to check oil feed to whole rocker assembly to be carried out on Sunday. I'll update after that.

Willie

2 hours ago, monty said:

Sounds like that is the solution Mick. Is it a straightforward job to do?

Yep takes about an hour. There are hardened shim washers which fit each end of the tubes between the rockers so the rocker arm spacing is tightly controlled, but still has space to expand with the heat.

Mick Richards

4 hours ago, Willie said:

Rocker shims at 0.010" thickness can be obtained from Moss [part TT1018C]. I obtained shims at The Bearing Company sized at  at 17 x 24 x 0.1 and 0.5mm

Further work to check oil feed to whole rocker assembly to be carried out on Sunday. I'll update after that.

Willie

Thanks Willie I’ll get some ordered for a rainy day. 

David

Rocker shaft removed and opened up, pushrods examined and then everything restored. Tappets set cold and engine run without cover to check oil dispersal along rocker shaft. No issue, but still got a bit of a tickety rattle which I will live with until /if it gets worse. Herefordshire roads here we come!!

Willie

• 3 weeks later...

Willie, check the your push rods. top cups and bottom balls are sometimes separate items and work loose. I've had a couple happily tapping away and thought it was the tappets for ages :angry: 

Also, do you have any shims left over from your building on the rocker shaft. I have the same set up but ran out of shims and have to much moment/wold like to close them up and they're on back order with MOSS etc:angry:

Happy to buy and pay postage?

Nigel please let those of us who also have tappety rattles know how you get on and deal with the problem. In 51 years of TR ownership this is something I have never tackled.

It’s an age thing I believe, one gets less tolerant as the years roll on!

james

1 hour ago, james christie said:

Nigel please let those of us who also have tappety rattles know how you get on and deal with the problem. In 51 years of TR ownership this is something I have never tackled.

It’s an age thing I believe, one gets less tolerant as the years roll on!

james

with Family or cars?.....I think both!