V750 & DVLA

I have acquired a replacement registration from the DVLA for the TR7 so I have a V750 with the new number.

Once I fill in the form and send it off I will get a new V5C showing the new number. This is all clear.

What is not mentioned is what happens to the old registration? Do I automatically retain it and therefore get a V750, or do I need to hand over another fee to retain my own plate?

Confused. Anyone know the answer as I can't find it mentioned in any DVLA documentation.

Cheers,

Jerry

Hi Jerry

Normally your old plate is surrendered to the DVLA and if you ever sell the TR7, you would retain your cherished (new) plate on retention and the DVLA will issue an age related plate which would enable you to sell on the 7. You will remember that you didn't like the existing plate so why retain it ?   ;)

10 minutes ago, North London Mike said:

Hi Jerry

Normally your old plate is surrendered to the DVLA and if you ever sell the TR7, you would retain your cherished (new) plate on retention and the DVLA will issue an age related plate which would enable you to sell on the 7. You will remember that you didn't like the existing plate so why retain it ?   ;)

Not so keep the old plates they keep the number belonging to the car now 

It annoys me but may have a value to someone else, question is; is it worth another fee to retain it.

One of the plates vendors 'valued' it at £450 which I find very doubtful.

Jerry

2 hours ago, ntc said:

Not so keep the old plates they keep the number belonging to the car now 

Everyday is a school day, been out of the game since I retired.................

Q: Do you have to pay to retain the existing/ original number, if not it's surrendered to the DLVA (my original thought) ? 

I think the catch is that if you retain the 'new' replacement number at a later date and the original number gets reallocated to the car it is on a non transferrable basis, so you can't then sell that number on again. That has certainly been the case on my Land Rover and my Morgan. 

I gather that the only way to keep the old number as a transferrable number is to pay the retention fee before you replace it with your new number, but I've never tested that and didn't see the point as I was happy for the original number to stay with the vehicle.

So in my experience when the original number 'comes back' it can't be sold or transferred on again.

Thanks all.

So it looks like I need a V317 and fee to retain the original number which may or may not be saleable, then use the V750 to transfer the new number.

Anyone like to purchase PUS 900W (doctor / dermatologist? Maybe there's a 900w motorbike)?

Jerry