Electric Fan Help

I want to fit an electric fan to my TR5 as the mechanical one is struggling in this hot weather.

I do not want to use the through the core fastening devices on the market now - I want to fix it to the radiator shell or fabricate brackets

Can the more experienced tell me which fan is best to use and should I remove mechanical fan and heve fan suck or leave mechanical fan and have electric fan blow

The car is used for classic rallying so does have a hard life

Cheers

John

Assuming rad is same size as a 4, the Pacet fan 16" blower will screw nicely onto the radiator outer casing-just be carefull when drilling!!! (Seriously).

Rob.

Guest Marvel901
Assuming rad is same size as a 4, the Pacet fan 16" blower will screw nicely onto the radiator outer casing-just be carefull when drilling!!! (Seriously).

Rob.

The rad on the tr5 is not the same size as the tr4 or 4a as far as I know, but a pull fan is more advisable in any case than a blower. Do not be afraid of securing this through the rad as generally unless you are ham fisted it will be OK . The mechanical fan should be removed but I recommend the use of a proper thermostat switch fixed in the bottom hose (a stainless steel fitting is available from most suppliers with thermostat boss). It is useful for peace of mind to wire in an over-ride switch in case you dont trust your temperature gauge .

hope this helps

Ian

I use a 13" Pacet on my TR5. Works very well. Took me to Le Mans this year. The toughest test being being the run to (queuing in 30+ temp) and after (more queuing) the Le Mans laps. As stated earlier best to fit a "proper" stat. I use an adjustable solid state unit. Had to fit fan in blow mode as not enough room for suck mode. Makes precious little difference to cooling in any event but you do get better weather protection if in suck mode.

David

I use a 13" Pacet on my TR5. Works very well. Took me to Le Mans this year. The toughest test being being the run to (queuing in 30+ temp) and after (more queuing) the Le Mans laps. As stated earlier best to fit a "proper" stat. I use an adjustable solid state unit. Had to fit fan in blow mode as not enough room for suck mode. Makes precious little difference to cooling in any event but you do get better weather protection if in suck mode.

David

Being in the Air Conditioning and Ventilation game I went into quite some technical detail to determine the best performers. Pacet were by far the best, can be purchased direct from their website, do pushers or pullers and have a variety of brackets to suit.

Like Dave I was queued up at Le Mans, thrashed her round the track and stop/start to get off. 980 miles round trip and not a problem with overheating and that is on a 4 pot without a crank driven fan fitted and the pacet fan fitted as a pusher unit.

Unc :D

Edited by unclepete
Do not be afraid of securing this through the rad as generally unless you are ham fisted it will be OK .

Technically correct, however just a word of caution. I found that after a number of years a through-core mounted fan caused a hole in the rad due to vibration. Personally, I wouldn't use this type of mounting again.

I understand that a puller fan is more efficient than a pusher, however it's much easier to mount as a pusher.

It might be worth flushing out the rad.

The 6 cylinder cars are not normally prone to overheating unless the rad is clogged. The standard fan is more than adequate - the main reason for using an electric fan is to reduce the amount of fuel/power wasted by the mechanical fan which isn't needed when the car is moving.

Unless there is an engine/fuel/timing cause for excess heat generation the likelihood is the rad is clogged.

Hi

Car has had a new rad and the cooling system is in good order - it does not actually overheat but the gauge goes up towards the red when stationary on a hot day and makes me nervous. I have fitted electric fans previously and they seem to do a good job of keeping the temperature constant. Mechanical fans seem to struggle to keep temperature down at tickover.

Cheers

John