Rear brakes sticking on.

I know this has been covered before, but I noticed something today for the first time.

I have in past experienced the rear offside brake not fully releasing after using the handbrake. The first time this happened it cured it's self after driving 10 yards or so, & did not happen again for many months. The next time I "fixed" the problem by backing off the adjuster a couple of notches. Suggestions have been a groove worn in the back plate preventing the cylinder from sliding freely - on examination no groove was found, & the cylinder does move freely.

Today, in preparation for an MOT test, I stripped both rear brakes for a clean up, & to re-adjust.  While stripped down, I noticed that there were ridges worn in the raised portions of the back plate where the inner edge of the brake shoes are clamped by the pin & spring. This combined with the rather sharp edge of the shoes could cause the shoe not to return properly. These photos should clarify.  To hopefully solve this I filed a small radius on the inside of the shoe edge to better allow it to slide over the ridges.

8904591_Ridges1.thumb.jpg.55879557091105fe86cab146b7ed7d59.jpg  824826745_Ridges2.thumb.jpg.037de5389ad5f0261de235c2e3930155.jpg  1541247972_Ridges3.thumb.jpg.1303ce9a6f406ea667c0c67ff724e16a.jpg

900439938_Sharpedge.thumb.jpg.7a1a2ae09c6cd5c1d00be69c7eea5375.jpg  631562366_smothededge.thumb.jpg.66418239d86b7adf2a9c8c248c893061.jpg

Last two images show before & after removing the sharp edge.  Click on images to enlarge.

A better solution would be to also remove the ridges either by grinding down to the lowest, or welding new metal on, & grinding that down to be level with the highest.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Well found Bob.

is nothing made to last nowadays ;):D 60 years !!! 

good luck with the mot and all your new fangled lights :ph34r:

That looks to me like the shoes have worn through the back plates.

Stuart.

Indeed they have worn the backplate, thus creating the ridges, or "steps" on what should be a flat surface.

The backplate is nowhere near worn right through, & the removal of the sharp edge on the shoe (which was probably responsible for the wear) has removed the sticking brake problem for now.

Bob