Clamping Liners to check height

Hello, about to start engine rebuild and as recommended by many on here, about to check liner heights.  Would it be acceptable to clamp the liners with shorter bolts so removing the need for spacers, I ask as I am struggling getting the spacers, tubing I used and cut to size deformed under the pressure of 105 foot pounds, cheers, Andrew

A tip I got from Mick Richards was to use old gudgeon pins as spacers.   Any way, You only need to torque to that level when you trial fit the head on.

You should do this at least once using the final FO8 seals (no sealant) & an old head gasket.  Then remove head, & clamp liners using tubes, torquing to say 30-40 ft lb (just enough to make sure they are seated properly. I clamped mine diagonally to make sure the liners did not rock sideways.

No reason not to use shorter studs / bolts I suppose, if you have some.

775332920_Pistonsfitted.thumb.jpg.2d69a0cf2e8de98288852b71e4abcadb.jpg

Bob.

I have some cut off lengths of gas pipe.  They have a decent wall thickness and won't crush.  I also use a length of thick wall square tube diagonally across the liners to hold them down.

I use the procedure that Bob has described, I clamp the head to at least 80 lbs-ft using an old head gasket and the new F08 seals to make sure they are properly bedded.  Then remove the head and clamp the liners to about 40lbs-ft using my bits of gas tubing before checking the protrusion of the liners above the block.

Rgds Ian