Hello, I am looking at sorting some rust areas in the hope that once sorted I can hang up my tools and leave any further work to my son-in-law once I am gone, the attached photos show some rusting between the two sections that make up the inner wing, do I need to find the spot weld and break them to separate the two sections and clean out the rust? or is there an easier way.  Unfortunately both inner wings are similarly afflicted.  The wing beading has been removed in the photos, cheers, Andrew

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

Edited by AndrewMAshton

Hi Andrew,

I have been chasing exactly that rust around my front wings.

Ideally it would be good to remove the rain channel complete so that it can be correctly properly.

I imagine when the inner wings were first put together paint and other coatings were minimal.

However removing that channel is quite a task. So if you have only a couple of areas to sort out it may be easily/efficient to cut away the inner wing and leave the channel intact.

I'm sure some good answers will be along shortly.

Another dodgy area is that TRapizoidal  support plate for the bonnet hinge. I ended up making new plates. It can rust like blazes between the plate and the inner wing.

Roger

Andrew    I'd endorse Roger's recommendation of " local " repair only. Once you've found good metal , making a couple of cardboard  cut outs and then repair patches , shouldn't be too difficult. Protect the surrounding area , engine  ,

paintwork and most importantly the glass windscreen from angle grinder sparks & weld splatter and away you go with the torch. Good luck with it Bob