Decent Gasket Set for US Engine

Hi all

My cylinder head is with Peter Burgess undergoing surgery!  The guru (Peter) recommended Payen black composite are the best for gaskets, and I guess I should get a complete gasket kit, but the only full kit I can find is in the US

https://mossmotors.com/head-gasket-set-payen-brand-7

Budget withstanding, can someone guide me to sourcing what Peter suggests from the cylinder head rebuild?

Thanks

Richard

There are 2 gaskets types for the blocks, check the block to see if it is recessed around the top edge of the bores, or the surface is flat at the top of the cylinder bores.

This is a recessed set from Rimmers   Head Gasket Set - Recessed Top Block - Payen - AJM1193PAYEN (rimmerbros.com)

John

Edited by John L

Hi John

Thanks, what difference does it make if it recessed around the top edge of the bores, or the surface is flat at the top of the cylinder bores - and how does this affect with gasket I get?

thanks

Richard

Its a different gasket for each of the different blocks, I expect for a recessed block, the fire ring in the gasket is bigger to give a better sealing area, could Peter Burgess not supply/get a gasket for you? 

I thought also you had a PI engine the gaskets kits from the USA may be for carb engines and the manifold gasket may be different also.

John

7 minutes ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Hi

Its a CF engine so am 99% sure its recessed, but I have mailed Peter.

Richard

The recessed gasket has to be used on the counter bored block as it has extra fire rings in it to full the gap generated by the counter bore. This design was used on formula 1 cars to the day. The TR6 Block flexes and the later the Block flexes less, due to a rib (web) being added to the block casting.  For the Bottom End gasket set go to Ferrari Piston Services as they are the main Distributor for Payen here in the UK. You would have to buy from one of their outlets! Sorry I do not know the Payen part nos. for a carb engine.

Bruce (ex Payen -Coopers Employee)

That is a recessed block, so you need a recessed gasket.

Your old gasket should have a tab at the rear of the gasket to identify it, a small oblong piece of gasket that sticks out at the rear.

John

Edited by John L

Just to muddy the waters, the recessed type block was not fitted on 71 carb cars. The engine is probably not the original. Also, make sure that the manifold gasket is the appropriate for the cylinder head.  1971 and earlier carb cars had a log type intake manifold and the spacing between the intake ports was .640" and commonly referred to as "narrow port heads" 1972 and later carb cars had intake manifolds that were shaped to flow better and had wider spacing (.840") and were known as (wide port heads". The manifolds are shown in Rimmer and Moss catalogs. It is important that the gasket matches the head&maniforld. Either type of manifold&head can be fitted to either type of block.

18 hours ago, dingle said:

Just to muddy the waters, the recessed type block was not fitted on 71 carb cars. The engine is probably not the original. Also, make sure that the manifold gasket is the appropriate for the cylinder head.  1971 and earlier carb cars had a log type intake manifold and the spacing between the intake ports was .640" and commonly referred to as "narrow port heads" 1972 and later carb cars had intake manifolds that were shaped to flow better and had wider spacing (.840") and were known as (wide port heads". The manifolds are shown in Rimmer and Moss catalogs. It is important that the gasket matches the head&maniforld. Either type of manifold&head can be fitted to either type of block.

Hi 

The car is a 71 but its a later engine, assume manifold etc is all  from later engine too.