TR3 won't start - Solved

My TR3 would not start. I found that my Champion spark plugs (L87YC) were fouled with carbon, and even brushing and petrol dipping until they looked great did not help. I put in new NGK plugs, part BP6HS, and the car ran immediately and smoothly. Checking the Champions with an ohmmeter gave me odd readings bc of carbon.

I am embarrassed that it took me a long time to find the solution.

I drive the 1960 TR3A only occasionally and start it once a month. In the spring I rebuilt the carbs to stop the petrol leaking slowly out the jet bottom. I replaced the plugs and set the ignition advance. Mixture set. Float level set. The car ran beautifully. However, over time it got harder and harder to start. A splash of petrol into carbs would start it however, but it began to run rough. Finally, it wouldn't start at all.
Since my plugs were new, I never suspected them. I spent all my time on fuel issue checking.

Perhaps the Champion L87YC are inferior to NGK BP6HS?
By that I mean that the specs on L87YC show the heat range is ridiculous.

Here is Championautoparts.com number definitions:
1 to 20  Automotive & small engine

20 to 49  Historical aviation

50 to 65   High performance racing plugs

65 to 100  Industrial & small engine
So, L87 is hotter than a racing engine spec.  What gives???

The heat range on the NGK BP6HS shows mid-range heat for autos.

Opie

Edited by Opie
typo

I suspect those numbers you have quoted are just for groups of different types of engines and not the heat ranges. L87 is probably grouped with industrial and small engines because of  the short reach and general purpose (mid heat range) qualities.

Ralph.

image.png.988172f9bd22ef71ba3b5de795b0161d.png

This is an old chart before Champion re organised their numbering system. TR fitment used to be L10 for touring and L11 for competition work.

Ralph

Edited by Ralph Whitaker
Picture

If you only drive occasionaly, but start it once a month, that is probably the reason for the carboning up of the plugs, you would need choke to start it, & the carbon will build up every time you do that, without a good run with a hot engine it won't go away.

Bob.

Ralph,

I seem to think you have uncovered an error in what Moss and others recommend for the TR.  The current catalogs specify L87Y or L87YC (same thing).

BUT, perhaps a L10 or L11 is proper.

Your NGK chart seems to confirm that.

Why else would today's Champion website list the L87 as hotter than hot?

Bob,

You speak the truth and I now realize the carbon is my fault.

On top of what you stated, I would take out the TR3 with its minimalist muffler and startle the neighborhood with its throaty roar, accelerating at green lights like a young kid.

I did not realize that those actions increase richness untold amounts. In my ignorance, I perceived I was "blowing out the carbon."

I know now, as you said, that I should put on miles (or km) at a steady rpm in order to keep plugs clean.  

Opie

Edited by Opie
17 hours ago, Opie said:

Ralph,

I seem to think you have uncovered an error in what Moss and others recommend for the TR.  The current catalogs specify L87Y or L87YC (same thing).

BUT, perhaps a L10 or L11 is proper.

Your NGK chart seems to confirm that.

Why else would today's Champion website list the L87 as hotter than hot?

The Green spark plug co reccomend L82C as the current fitment for the TR3, so they must judge this the equivalent of the L10 which is no longer available since Champion re organised their numbering system, or

NGK BP6HS according to my Moss catalogue

8 minutes ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

The Green spark plug co reccomend L82C as the current fitment for the TR3, so they must judge this the equivalent of the L10 which is no longer available since Champion re organised their numbering system, or

NGK BP6HS according to my Moss catalogue

I and many others downunder use BP5HS plugs. They are the next grade hotter.

I moved to the hotter plug to minimise the plugs carboning up in traffic. I live only 5km west of the Sydney CBD, traffic lights are a part of life near home.