Wiring of fan relay.

Need to put a relay on the electric fan, as turning the ignition off with the fan running does not switch off the engine cleanly. I suspect the fan motor becomes a dynamo and keeps back feeding the ignition circuit. At the same time I would like to put in an overide switch.

I`m thinking  permanent live to relay to power fan, maybe from solenoid with an inline fuse.

Switched power from ign to one side of thermostatic switch, then from thermo switch to relay operating circuit, with another switched feed from ign direct to relay for overide.

Does that sound right or have i missed something?

Ralph

Edited by Ralph Whitaker
Additional thoughts
1 hour ago, Graham Harris said:

This is how you need to wire the fan

Graham

img038.jpeg

A picture saves a thousand words!

My version is the same as Graham's except I have a jumper lead between terminals 85 and 30 instead of a feed from the ignition. That way the fan often kicks in when you turn the engine off and the hot water rises in the rad much like a modern car.

In addition to the thermostat switching the 86 to earth I have a manual over ride but have never found the need to use it

George

Thanks for the replies chaps, I will obtain a relay and set to this weekend.

Ralph