Getting to 1972 overdrive solen

Hi all

I want to get to the o/d solenoid,as I have started to strip the seats and carpets how much further do I need to go to unearth the solenoid to visually check the solenoid and wiring for the o/d unit.I hope to be able to expose the top of the o/d unit to see where everything is but don’t know if that’s possible!

stay safe 

nige

Hi Nigel,

it is best to remove the GB tunnel, so you also have proper access to the switches on top of the GB. Also, adjusting the solenoid (A-type I assume) is easier. 

Waldi

Hi Nigel,

As Waldi has said above best to remove the gearbox tunnel, that will give you access to the wiring, solenoid and switches. If you don't want to do that there is a plate on the tunnel for access to the solenoid however removing that will not provide access to anything else.

Derek

P1010770.JPG

Nige,

A 72CP should have an A type as per photo. The J type came in for the CR and CF series albeit many earlier TR6's have been retrofitted with the J type. If you have a look under your car and see a circular brass plug then you have the A Type - see image from the web showing the brass plug

Derek

A type overdrive.jpg

Edited by saffrontr

OK you have an A type. Basically check the adjustment using a drill bit in the locking point on the other side of the operating shaft- see the Brown Bible & check you are getting an electrical signal to the solenoid with the gear selector in 2nd, 3rd and 4th, with the G/B interlocks preventing a signal in 1st and reverse.

The wiring to the OD causes most A type problems- I fitted a Landrover "OD  on" light to mine to confirm while driving that it's getting the electrical signal when it should.