Primrose yellow paint code

Some help please folks,

My TR2 rebuild has reached the painting stage, and I am having it painted professionally. I have decided on Primrose Yellow for the colour. I provided the painter with the paint codes in Bill Piggott's Original TR Book but these seem to have drawn a blank with the painter. Does anyone out there have a modern paint manufacturer's two pack paint code for this colour or even a modern cellulose one that he can use as a comparison. Also does anyone know what the original Triumph code was for this colour from the side screen era when the code wasn't quoted on the commission plate.

Thank you in anticipation

Trevor.

(1954 long door TR2)

Primrose Yellow was not a TR colour until late 1958.

Primrose Yellow (Pale Yellow) Pittsburg Code (PPG) 81168

Primrose ICI Code 3220 TR3 from May 1958

http://englishcars.com/trtables.html

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A, Montreal

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trebor/don3a_big.JPG

Don, Thanks for your prompt reply. Much appreciated. I'm off to see the painter tomorrow so hopefully progress can be made. I was aware Primrose wasn't an original TR2 colour. The car was originally geranium, which I'm afraid I couldn't live with. I saw a German primrose TR3 at the International Weekend last year, and as this met with my wife's approval, a necessary pre-requisite for being allowed to restore another TR, the colour was decided upon. It rather restricts the interior trim colour choice however, as black or grey woud appear to be the only matching colours. Still, the trim is a long way off yet.

Thanks again

Trevor.

I can't say if this story is true or not, but I heard that Sir John Black asked his wife to select the colours. As she was having the interior of their mansion re-painted, she asked one of the painters for his input, The story goes that he daintily stepped down the ladder, kick one heel and flared his limp wrist and said, "I love geranium".

Guest Lou Metelko

Trevor:

You are about to commit a major crime by painting a Long Door with a non factory colour. These ultra rare cars deserve to be returned to a colour that was available to them. Please reconsider.

Lou Metelko

Auburn, Indiana USA

54 TR2LD Born Ice Blue and will stay that way

You are about to commit a major crime by painting a Long Door with a non factory colour. These ultra rare cars deserve to be returned to a colour that was available to them. Please reconsider.

Trevor

You crack on and paint YOUR car any colour YOU wish! I believe some 4000 long doors were made (granted, not all survived) so although not common it is hardly “ultra rare" or "major crime", although it is debatable (by some) if it is of historical importance e.g. rally success, a press or show car.

At least another TR is saved and who, other than a concours buff, would know or care what colour it left the factory anyway?

After all, it’s best to please the one who (as much as we might think not) holds the purse strings!

How about posting a photo when you’ve finished?

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Trevor,

before the purchase of our TR2, I almost bought a TR3 primrose yellow with a red interior. I have added a picture of the car. I think it's looks great !!

Besides the interior... have you thought about the color of the spokes ?? Your wife the color of the body and interior, black spokes for you :)

Cheers,

Edwin