New tacho cable, lubricate or not?

I've got to fit a new tacho cable as the inner on mine has just snapped.  Now I've always been a fan of less is better when lubricating speedo and tacho cables so that any lube doesn't work its way up into the instruments.  I know a lot of sites recommend using either lithium or graphite, but I've always assumed that a new cable would be sufficiently lubricated during manufacture so needs no additional lubrication prior to fitting.

What is the collective opinion, extra lube or not?

Edited by Colin Symonds

Smiths recommended lubricating the inner flexible drive sparingly with Castrol LM grease as it is inserted in the outer casing. The inner cable should then be withdrawn about 8 inches and all the grease should be removed from that part before reinserting it fully. This avoids the risk of grease being drawn up into the instrument and contaminating it. When refitting the cable ensure that 3/8” of the flexible drive projects beyond the outer casing to ensure correct engagement, any more than this risks damage to the instrument.

Tim