TR4A rear body bump stop

• 4 months later...
On 9/26/2020 at 2:50 PM, rvwp said:

Hi Guys,

Need to replace the bump stops on the body of my TR4A resto project nearing completion. Yeh :D.  Looking at what was on the car, certainly since 1982 when it was last on the road, the bump stop seems to a have a alloy spacer and a longer stud than the replacement bump  purchased from Moss?

The Moss catalogue makes no reference to a spacer. Is this original or added as a aftermarket item?

Thasnks 

Rich

20200926_142926.jpg

Hi Rich,

I noted corrosion between my 1966 TR4A IRS bump stop and spacer ...   Also the bump stop (Metalastic Brand ... original ? car had 19,000 miles when restoration started in Dec 2000 .. currently at 26,000) was starting to part.... and went fettling to get it sorted.  The spacer was fused to the bump stop.  A Stanley knife blade, and WD40, managed to ease through the corrosion with minimum loss of aluminum.  The spacer is very roughly cast.

The bump stop from Rimmers (part number 149240) had the correct length threads.  To belay the galvanic corrosion highlighted by others... I painted the touching surfaces and placed an inner tube washer between same.  All back into the body with a good dollop of coppercoat.  Some pics attached.  Dimensions of spacer shown.

All the best,  Jim

PS:  The opposite / lower bump stop was so easy to remove... the PO restorer powder coated the chassis with it in place!

210305 LH rear body bump stop prior to change out.JPG

210305 original bump stop and spacer unfused.JPG

210305 orig AL spacer OD.JPG

210305 orig AL spacer thickness.JPG

210305 RH Rear Body Bump Stop NEW.JPG

My 4A has: what looks like a rectangular spacer, a 30mm long hex block and the rubber bump stop.  Overall length is 100mm from the body bracket to the tip of the bump stop.  This seems longer than with the posted pictures, but has been like that since I acquired the car in 1978.  What is the normal distance from bracket to the end of rubber stop, or any other distance I can check (for example protrusion below the chassis crossmember) ?

Rear Bump Stop.jpg

On 3/10/2021 at 10:30 PM, RobinTR said:

My 4A has: what looks like a rectangular spacer, a 30mm long hex block and the rubber bump stop.  Overall length is 100mm from the body bracket to the tip of the bump stop.  This seems longer than with the posted pictures, but has been like that since I acquired the car in 1978.  What is the normal distance from bracket to the end of rubber stop, or any other distance I can check (for example protrusion below the chassis crossmember) ?

Rear Bump Stop.jpg

Hi Robin,

Pls see attached my car's (1966 UK car CTC/68568-O) dimensions for sharing.

I have no idea which is the "correct" arrangement .... other "chats" have indicated the single Al cylinder spacer very common.

Rgds, Jim

210312 TR4A 1966 Rear Upper Bump Stop dimensions.pdf

Edited by jhk
typo of car CTC number

Jim, thanks for taking the time to send your measurements; it looks as though my bump stop is around 1" lower than yours.  May explain why the rear of my car sounds as though it is bottoming out over even quite small bumps.  

I will check around a few other cars to see what is going on... might be worth me trying to assess the distance between the trailing arm and the bump stop and also the fitted length of the spring

31 minutes ago, RobinTR said:

Jim, thanks for taking the time to send your measurements; it looks as though my bump stop is around 1" lower than yours.  May explain why the rear of my car sounds as though it is bottoming out over even quite small bumps.  

I will check around a few other cars to see what is going on... might be worth me trying to assess the distance between the trailing arm and the bump stop and also the fitted length of the spring

Your welcome Robin.  I think I saw an arrangement similar to yours in another bump sub thread in this forum...