Historic Vehicle

I was just about to send my V112 form to DVLA to register my car as historic and then checked my V5 which states that the car is historic. However, it is still showing on the MOT checker as requiring presentation for MOT in October. Do I just ignore this if I decide not to present for MOT and just show the V112 at the PO when I re-tax the car? Just want to make sure I don't fall foul of the law if I do present for MOT. I also understand the benefits of this etc.

Thanks

I imagine the car has a current MOT(?) - which will have an expiry date, so that will show an expiry date on the Gov.uk check web-page. If it is "due" in October was it MOT'd last October, or perhaps April last year (so it has benefitted from an automatic "Covid" 6 month extension)?

I get all three of our exempt classics MOT'd every year for the very good reasons given in multiple threads on here. Therefore all three show an MOT expiry date on that enquiry. I imagine that if I wanted to let them just expire, I would need to claim the exemption next time I need to get the (free) car tax.

The Historic status is for road tax. The MoT exemption is entirely different and I think you have to apply for. I haven't, as I prefer to be MoT'd.

Jerry

I should have checked. The Gov.uk site states:

What you have to do

You must apply for a vehicle tax exemption to stop paying vehicle tax. This is sometimes called putting a vehicle into the ‘historic tax class’.

You do not have to apply to stop getting an MOT for your vehicle each year. However, you must still keep it in a roadworthy condition.