Bosch fuel pump mounting to reduce noise

Hi Everyone,

I fitted a new Bosch type fuel pump in the boot of my car, tucked in the corner as low down as possible and still with space to get the spare wheel in.

It has been quite noisy since new, but runs absolutely fine. At the weekend I unbolted it from the side of the boot compartment and switched it on and it ran beautifully quietly. So, it seems the noise I hear is caused by vibration from the pump through the car body. The pump and filter assembly was mounted with 2 x 10mm bolts through a rubber sheet on the inside of the boot and with washers and nuts in the wheel arch.

I have tried changing the thick rubber piece to thinner less dense rubber and also put this between the washers and the body work on the wheel arch side to see if this would improve the situation. Result was marginally better, but I think this is where I need to make changes. I like the location of the pump so if I can avoid it I would prefer not to move it.

Any ideas on the best way to mount it to reduce the noise as much as possible please?

Thanks

Rob

They are best installed with 2 rubber isolator mounts, m6 (or 1/4”) threaded both sides, as used on the prv.

Waldi

21 minutes ago, Waldi said:

They are best installed with 2 rubber isolator mounts, m6 (or 1/4”) threaded both sides, as used on the prv.

Waldi

Is there enough space for that kind of mount, so that the spare wheel will still fit?

On mine it does Rob, with a 15” wheel.

Bosch pump is horizontally mounted against lhs side wall as low as possible.

18 minutes ago, Waldi said:

On mine it does Rob, with a 15” wheel.

Bosch pump is horizontally mounted against lhs side wall as low as possible.

Thanks Waldi.

Yes, that's where mine is too.

I see you can get some pretty small isolation mounts, so I think it will work. Very cheap to try so worth a go.

On 7/20/2020 at 8:54 PM, Waldi said:

Your local general car parts store will have them.

Hi Waldi,

I got them on-line, but really neat - nice and small and the spare wheel fits in too!

Not perfect but as good as I will get i think - very happy. thanks for your help.

Rob

20200722_142332.jpg

Hi Rob, 

very good, if it is still humming you can stick some thick soft cell foam as support or “stabiliser”.

Waldi