Hood Frame window seals

Hi all

Had the frame blasted, powder coated and bought various bits to refurb it. Tightened up some of the rivets but others so worn drilled out and replaced with nylocs and bolts welded in, ground to look like rivets. Come to fitting the window top seals but before I fit them just want to check I have the rubber lip flap the correct way; facing outward?

Thanks

Andy

Frame pic 1.jpg

Frame pic 2.jpg

Yes Andy - the lip to the outside against the door glass when wound up. It is a while since I fitted some but I think either the seal channels or the frame itself where the channels are fastened on Is slotted so you have some in and out adjustment of the seal position. 
Regards

Ian

17 minutes ago, BRINDUS44 said:

Yes Andy - the lip to the outside against the door glass when wound up. It is a while since I fitted some but I think either the seal channels or the frame itself where the channels are fastened on Is slotted so you have some in and out adjustment of the seal position. 
Regards

Ian

Thanks Ian 

Your right the channels are slotted to allow in/out movement up to the glass.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I just did this job. I first installed the seals in the aluminium channels using some soap, with the bolts in slotted holes loose. Then pushed seals outwards to just contact the door glass. Not too much, as this will stress the glass guides and door skin as the window glass would bend outwards. With the risk of cracks in the door skin, as often seen. Then tightened the little screws, I did not need to remove the seals from the ally guides again. My doors close nicely, no excessive force needed. Door glass stops just below the velcro.
Cheers,
Waldi

13 hours ago, Waldi said:

Hi Andy,

I just did this job. I first installed the seals in the aluminium channels using some soap, with the bolts in slotted holes loose. Then pushed seals outwards to just contact the door glass. Not too much, as this will stress the glass guides and door skin as the window glass would bend outwards. With the risk of cracks in the door skin, as often seen. Then tightened the little screws, I did not need to remove the seals from the ally guides again. My doors close nicely, no excessive force needed. Door glass stops just below the velcro.
Cheers,
Waldi

Hi Waldi

Just restored the frame in advance of refitting it at some point. I fitted the ali rail to the frame first and slid the seals in with silicone grease. Your right I was able to tighten the nuts without a screwdriver on the other side so when the time comes it should be easy to adjust them in/out as you have.

2 hours ago, Mark69 said:

Hi Andy, 

Did you tighten up the two rivets on the front rail, I'm confident in thinking these should be loose. 

Mark

Hi Mark

Mine were tight and rusty so I drilled them out so everything could be shot blasted and powder coated (Hot zinc and then powder coat) replaced with nyloc nut and bolt the head was ground to fit under the ali rail. I'll see what it fits like as I can always slack the nyloc off and make it loose. Suspect the front rail might have to be a bit loose to allow the latch pins to locate easier.

Too late now but thinking about it now I should have welded the bolt head to the rail.

Andy