TR4 LHD to RHD conversion- firewall mod's

Hi All,

Rebuilding a 64 TR4 (LHD US import) here, and I've had a good look through the forum, but I can't find the specific details I'm after to carry out the LHD to RHD conversions. I've rebuilt the Chassis, Diff Gearbox and Engine, but the body shell is still in storage and I can't get access to it for another few weeks..

I've changed out the steering rack with no particular drama so far, but I'm trying to find out if all or even some of the steering column bracket mounting points are present on the internal face of the firewall to relocate the steering from LHD to RHD, or whether I'll have to weld in new brackets or anything structural.

Does anyone have a pattern or graphic layout showing the size and location of the cutouts and penetrations on the RH firewall and scuttle panels?

Best regards

Pete

IMG_6596.jpg

IMG_6597.jpg

IMG_6598.jpg

IMG_6599.jpg

Hi Pete,

I purchased a LHD TR4 and during the rebuild sorted out all the LHD to RHD differences.

This resulted in two sketches which show all the information.

If you send me a PM with your e-mail address I can send you PDF copies.

Regards, Richard

Its not particularly difficult to change them over its basically a mirror image not forgetting the captive nut on the left hand rear of the battery tray for the dash support.  A new column support bracket is the only extra part you need which is available from likes of Revingtons. The skilful bit is welding all the redundant holes in the left side up properly so that you cant tell the conversion has been done.

Stuart.

Hi Pete, I've done this on a 4a over the last 12 months, much as Stuart says above. You will need to shift the pedals over, cut new holes for pedals to come through, and also the new securing points for the pedals and re-bending the brake/clutch pedals and a new RHD accelerator pedal. If you need any pictures drop me a PM

Regards

David

An additional consideration is to fit a TR6 pedal/booster/master cylinder combination.

As a matter of interest, are you using the oven for "baking" VHT spray can paint.

2 hours ago, Malbaby said:

An additional consideration is to fit a TR6 pedal/booster/master cylinder combination.

As a matter of interest, are you using the oven for "baking" VHT spray can paint.

Hi Mal - I have a powder-coating set up, so all the components are powder-coated. The oven is also useful for baking any high-temp ceramic coatings on things like manifolds as well though

11 hours ago, RAHTR4 said:

Hi Pete,

I purchased a LHD TR4 and during the rebuild sorted out all the LHD to RHD differences.

This resulted in two sketches which show all the information.

If you send me a PM with your e-mail address I can send you PDF copies.

Regards, Richard

Thanks Richard - PM sent.

11 hours ago, stuart said:

Its not particularly difficult to change them over its basically a mirror image not forgetting the captive nut on the left hand rear of the battery tray for the dash support.  A new column support bracket is the only extra part you need which is available from likes of Revingtons. The skilful bit is welding all the redundant holes in the left side up properly so that you cant tell the conversion has been done.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart - good tip about the captive nut...I guess that's normally the bit you find out about just after finishing the beautiful paint job..

10 hours ago, qkingston said:

Hi Pete, I've done this on a 4a over the last 12 months, much as Stuart says above. You will need to shift the pedals over, cut new holes for pedals to come through, and also the new securing points for the pedals and re-bending the brake/clutch pedals and a new RHD accelerator pedal. If you need any pictures drop me a PM

Regards

David

Hi David,

PM sent... Any pictures you have would be very much appreciated before I start hacking away at the firewall..

I managed to get a RHD pedal box and pedal set and a RHD accelerator pedal and connector crank.