TR6 Overdrive j type

I have a problem with my overdrive , if i switch it on it goes in straight away and will drive miles but if i knock it out to change down gear or stop at traffic light or a junction sometimes it will go straight back in other times it wont and i have to wait a while with engine off and it will work again.Any ideas as to my problem.

Thanks John.

I would check the soleonid, maybe the valve is stuck.  The soleonid can be removed with the gearbox installed. 

I wish you success

Harald

Edited by Harald

Also check the wiring and in particular the connectors on the solenoid.

mine were nicely protected from corrosion by a steady oil bath..... clean up and recrimp and all good again !

steve

4 hours ago, PeterTRR said:

I have a problem with my overdrive , if i switch it on it goes in straight away and will drive miles but if i knock it out to change down gear or stop at traffic light or a junction sometimes it will go straight back in other times it wont and i have to wait a while with engine off and it will work again.Any ideas as to my problem.

Thanks John.

Check the oil level first 

6 hours ago, PeterTRR said:

Thanks John.

Peter, I just recently had a similar problem with a J type O/D in that it seemed to work well when cold, but as the temp rose its operation became more unreliable, after spending a bit of time checking the electrical's and the oil level, and reading a lot of the info on the blog;s I replaced the solenoid expecting it to sort the problem, but unfortunately it didn't.. Next  I removed the bottom plate cleaned the large filter and replaced the small round HP filter, both easy jobs if you can access the o/d from underneath, then replenished the oil with a GL4, EP 80/90 ran it for a few miles then topped the box up, and this seems to have resolved the problem.

Liam

3 minutes ago, LiamP said:

Peter, I just recently had a similar problem with a J type O/D in that it seemed to work well when cold, but as the temp rose its operation became more unreliable, after spending a bit of time checking the electrical's and the oil level, and reading a lot of the info on the blog;s I replaced the solenoid expecting it to sort the problem, but unfortunately it didn't.. Next  I removed the bottom plate cleaned the large filter and replaced the small round HP filter, both easy jobs if you can access the o/d from underneath, then replenished the oil with a GL4, EP 80/90 ran it for a few miles then topped the box up, and this seems to have resolved the problem.

Liam

In future when I change the gearbox oil I'll remove the bottom plate and clean the O/D main filter.