Rear Crankshaft seal replacement

Hi Folks

I am considering rebuilding my engine to eliminate the oil drips ( I can hear you all laughing all the way down here in NZ). Will likely increase to 86mm pistons and liners at the same time.

I am going to order the conversion kit from Moss (TT1032) which does not require any machining along with a Viton seal.This being ordered through our TR Register here who have an association with Moss.

Moss advises that a special tool (TT1032Tool) is required but I have seen a YouTube clip showing that the tool is not used. At £55 it is very expensive for perhaps a one time use so I wondered if there was another less expensive solution. I know that I could return it for a rebate but the shipping cost would outweigh the benefit. I also note that TR Shop is the same.

Your thoughts appreciated

Brian

Make your own ? the diagram for the original mandrel (setting tool) is shown in the workshop manual, just remember the dimension for the crank dia shown is incorrect being too large (probably why many rear scrolls leak being set too far away). It needs to be 4 thou less.  

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

I would recomment Christians seal, it would be next to impossible t install it without the mandril, I made my own mandril from Aluminium using a friends lathe as when the kit first came out the mandril dimensions were available. PM Christian on here (MadMArx)  to see if they are still available

cheers

Alan