TR6 won 't start

Hi all,  

My cousin drove over his tr6 from Germany in August and it has been sat in the garage for a couple of months. I have taken it out a couple of times but since before Christmas I can't get it started. I have changed the battery and initially thought it was the fuel pump that was broken as it was making a slight whine. It just doesn’t quite start - as if no fuel is getting to the engine. My cousin tells me he recently fitted a new fuel pump so it can’t be that. Any advice or help would be much appreciated. I’m in Oxford Boars Hill OX1. 

When was the last time it had fresh fuel in it? Last time it had a fuel filter?

Stuart.

It is pretty common for old cars to have difficulties after several months of not running. If the fuel is more than say 4-6 months old, it has aged, and to make it worse it also could be “summer-grade” petrol. Oil companies put less volatile parts in summer fuel, which adds to poor starting if left over in winter conditions.

Check one sparkplug, do you see a spark if you remove one and crack the engine? Or is it wet then?

Waldi

Have you removed an injector to see if any fuel is being pushed through the system? 

Gareth

I assume this means its kicking over from a spark "It just doesn’t quite start ". Make sure the fuel enrichment lever on the MU is adjusted &working .

Stale fuel will really affect these engines- I have to add Stabil when I leave the car for more than a month or so.