Using bit too much oil

8 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

If the smoke is now white ? (instead of the original report of blue) then because you've not used the car for a while it could be condensation in the oil in the engine. The compressions are pretty even apart from No 5 where the addition of oil on the compression test has increased it by about 15% some % more than the others, did you check the tappet settings across the valves before the run ?

Did you just take the head off and send it to Peter Burgess (I think you mean, not Steve) and bolt it back on without changing the oil or doing any other work ?

I take it you didn't pull the pistons whilst the head was off ? ...pity, you could have checked the condition of the piston rings and if they are sticking and measured them and the bores for comparison and wear. There is a method to try and help the piston ring seating's which only requires driving...in a disciplined manner, for maybe 3-4 weeks 

After rechecking the tappet settings and ensuring they are equal take the car out and find a nice long gradual uphill gradient ( I use motorways). Starting on the flat approaching the hill make sure you are top gear 4th, and with maybe 500-1000 revs on the tacho below maximum torque, without knowing your camshaft I'd suggest your maximum torque will be about 3500 revs. So about 2500 revs on the tacho, then checking traffic behind is clear fully depress the throttle fully down to the floor and hold it there whilst the car accelerates up to about 4500 revs, then brake down to the 2500 revs and if you have enough gradient left do it again...and again...and again. I would carry out such a process over 3-4 weeks at least a couple of times a week, it's better than getting oily and more fun, BUT remain disciplined and don't use the upper rev range.

The full throttle on an uphill gradient in 4th gear fully loads the engine, this takes the engine into BMEP* (Brake Mean Effective Pressure) area, (Google it) where the power downward stroke of the piston achieves maximum cylinder pressure, and presses the piston rings out against the cylinder bores. This helps correct polished upper bores (too many revs doesn't push the rings out and polishes the bores) by the rings being pushed into the liner walls and gouging (we are talking microscopic amounts) of complimentary grooves into the bore face. This will maximise your compressions and reduce oil burning by allowing the rings to scrape the correct amount of oil off the bores into the sump.

This is the process I use when breaking a new engine build in prior to racing, or spend a little money and take the car onto a rolling road and ask them to bed the engine in. They can load the engine by applying resistance on the rollers, and watching the engine temperature apply full throttle for about 20 mins and bed the rings in. 

This BMEP running is always worth a try before excavating back into the engine.

Mick Richards

Thanks Mick for your feedback and help, here I go to answer some!

• Smoke colour - -well it was not a deep blue, just when I decelerated hard I looked in the mirror and saw smoke, so yes "white-ish" 
  • Yes, wrong name, Peter Burgess.  I did not even think I could pull the piston when head was off, I was pushing my tech limits anyway to do head, always thought piston was full engine lift
  • Tappets, I did a check a few weeks ago, they seemed okay, maybe after a month of driving I do a re-check
  • For piston no5, I think I check again, I know I inadvertently put too much oil in No5, so maybe this is an issue
  • For BMEP - fascinating . . only living in the flattest country in the planet will mean a few km outside of the city . . but think I know a place!

Thanks again, Richard

6 hours ago, DIYBOSSCAT said:

Hi Rich, another possibility could be the non return valve on the servo gone allowing a possible brake fluid ingestion to give a bit of smoke.

Hope you get it sorted.

Vince.

Hi

Never thought of that - - is there an easy check on this?  Brakes seem okay

Richard

It does sound to me that it is just condensation. I would do some 50 mile drives with some hard driving and just check the coolant levels when cooled and if no change then you are quids in.. Just remember however, when you fill her up with coolant she will expel some into the overflow as the system equilibrates. So don't just top up again as the same will happen (which is quite normal) and you'll think she is using coolant.

Cheers

tim