TR6 valuation, UK

Hi guys, newby here.

I'm just about to buy a TR6. its an injected car (73 so probably a 125bhp) It's been restored with a new heritage shell and new chssis within the last 1000 miles. It has a leather interior, burr walnut dash, pretty much everything has been renewed apart from the engine which is immaculate and runs superbly.

It is to all intents and purposes, a brand new car. I'm in the UK, what's a rough idea of the value of a car in this condition? :blink:

Thanks

Simon

"Value" and "Worth" are really just whatever people are willing to pay, and so can be rather hard to guess. I've been pleasently suprised in the past selling cars for far more than i considered them to be worth. Equally, disappointment generally awaits those who value their cars on the cost of the service history!

If this car was from a dealer i guess it would be over £10k, and probably about £8K private. Obviously much would depend on the quality of the work, though i'm always a little suspicious of restorations that do not include the engine - it can then be unclear what amount of other mechanical work has been undertaken.

Some would feel that such a car as this looses out for the 125bhp engine, and being rather "artificial" for having a totally new shell. However, these peoples opinions shouldn't unduly affect your decision.

So, try drving it. If you love it, the price will come naturally!

P.S - Try a fast-road one too, before you decide. The 125 could feel pleasingly brisk on starting, but after a few months a fast-road should still be giving an adrenaline kick!

New shell and new chassis? - I would want to know why.

If it was a rust bucket, then OK - everything that rusts has been replaced.

If it was accident damaged - check the documents.

If it WAS that good, I reckon a dealer would be asking close to 20K for it.

That may sound a lot, but ask yourself, how much would it cost for a new

Heritage bodyshell, painted, replacement chassis (assume s/h) plus full

leather interior, mechanical work even excluding the engine and all the

brightwork etc etc + assembly.

It would cost over £20K to do, wouldn't it?

Agree on the post 73 models - nice enough but if I was paying big money

for a TR6 in that condition, I would want a 150bhpo model with overdrive.

Makes for a different car.

I guess in my answer i rather overlooked the few rare ones you see where everything concievable (and a few things that are not) has been done. There have certainly been a few £18-25K 6s at the last two international. I thought these failed to sell......

Which means they have a price which the market doesn't agree is the value!

Hi Simon, don't get too hung up over the power thing, it's an easy engine to tweak and improve way above the "150" which were 142bhp - when judged on the same basis as the CR cars. Check (and post here) what other - if any - mods have been carried out on the car you're looking at, eg suspension bushes, shock absorbers etc.. How much is being asked for the beast and is it a Register member - why is it being sold? If it seems too god to be true, it probably is!

Strange comment, why does accident damage make a difference? with a new chassis & body it doesn't matter!

Do all of the above; I can understand why it might be done but I'm pretty sure that this sort of 'rebuild' would earn a 'Q' plate according to DVLC points system so be carefull!

A new chassis may or may not be a good thing - some of the repro chassis were not that good & a properly repaired "old" chassis may be better.

As for the body shells - many were not that great & needed hours of fettling to get right which may have been skimped on (some of the panels in the repro chassis were **** quality & dimensionally.)

A car is only worth what someone will pay for it. However many sellers assume that the value of the car is the sum of the purchase price and the restoration cost. It's pretty rare for the two to be the same!

(A good example of this was a Triumph 2000 I went with a friend to look over at the weekend - the seller had spent a considerable amount of money fitting a PI engine & minilite wheels along with MkI PI badging. He was asking £4500 which is what the car had cost him to do. Yet top whack for the car would be nearer £2500 if the body had been tidier)

Remember there are lots of good cars about so don't pay through the nose for one.

A lot of these boxes can be interchanged by changing the input shaft but they need to be of a similar age, you really need to know the exact year and type of both gearboxes and have the parts list for both boxes to check. This was how I converted mine to OD using a Dolly sprint box and OD but it took a bit of paper research before the job started.

Ron

Edited by ron
A lot of these boxes can be interchanged by changing the input shaft but they need to be of a similar age, you really need to know the exact year and type of both gearboxes and have the parts list for both boxes to check. This was how I converted mine to OD using a Dolly sprint box and OD but it took a bit of paper research before the job started.

Ron

I think you got the wrong post Ron!