I had my car in the local garage for a check on the propshaft which he fitted two weeks ago. The rear wheels had significant play on the splines before loosening the spinner. The splines and wheels have covered less than 2k miles. Once the wheel was off the spline shoulder was shiny and so was the wheel shoulder. The mechanic, friend, took the spinner away and cleaned out the recess. When it was fitted there was no movement. This suggests that there must have been some grit preventing the spinner from closing down fully. It seems to be all right now.

Could I improve on this repair by removing 3 mm off the end of the spline.?? This would allow me to tighten the spinner fully. I never considered that the spinner could bottom out against the spline.

Please let me have some opinions.

Richard

Hi Richard.

Yes, that sounds like a good idea to me.

Before you do it though it would be worth noting the position of the spinner, & how many turns to remove with the wheel on, then repeat with wheel off, you should be able to get more turns with wheel off. if not, then it is bottoming out.

Bob.

P.S.    fitted those LED bulbs yet ?

I have also had this happen. Sometimes the wheel seems to lock to the spinner and leaves the rim loose on the splines.

Only happens on the rear wheels, probably due to the torque reversal between drive and braking. No idea why it happens but slackening and re-tightening fixes it. No problems with the thread bottoming. Only happens very rarely.

I am assuming that if you swapped steel wheels for wires you shortened the studs. If you didn't the inside of the wheel sits on the end of the studs and these wear dimples into the rear of the wheel centre and the wheel comes loose. Found this out the hard way 25 years ago when I first fitted wire wheels.

Neil

Thanks. I have had the wire wheels for ever, and the short studs. I tried the spinner with no wheel and seven turns were required to reach the end of the thread. I replaced the wheel and it only took 4 1/4 turns to lock the wheel. So I do not have a problem with the spinner reaching the end of the thread before locking the wheel.

I will have to keep an eye on the rear wheels more often.

Richard