Ilkley Jubilee Rally

Hi folks

Who is out for the Ilkely Jubilee Rally on 9th April in sunny Yorkshire ??? another excellent event and well worth the trip ....... and the bits you might break !

Rob and I are hoping to be there with BST 82 B if I can get the clutch sorted out - ive promised him not to DNF again, so here's hoping.

Regards

Tony

Hi Tony,

Richard and I will be out again in 7 VC, and sincerely hoping not to break anything! The car is currently having the Webers sorted out - the poor running on the Tour of Cheshire was down to a leaking inlet manifold gasket and leaking o-rings between the carbs and manifolds. Hoping the work will cure the flames coming out of the exhaust! Quite cool on night rallies, but not great for the fuel consumption! 15mpg on the ToC! Ouch!

We're also doing the Alan Rogers down in Dorset the weekend before (2nd April) if anyone's out then too.

Good luck with the clutch!

Cheers,

Jonathan

Thanks ......

Flame out the exhaust on over run is great (like a Starfighter in a dive as I recall) - but means you need either to go faster or turn the mixture down ..... you know the screw ..... or just dont back off. Bodywork is quite cheap .....really.

Hopefully Ill have some clutch when I see you - trying a semi metallic paddle clutch this time and obviously trying hard to learn to drive better .... apparently Ill officially be a loony if I break this.

Cant make the Alan Rogers due to family stuff but I hear its worth the trip !

See you on the 9th all being well!

Regards

Tony

like a Starfighter in a dive as I recall

The Lockheed Starfighter (also known as the "widowmaker", "flying coffin" and similar names) was impressive to see. The last I saw flying was around 16 years ago at RAIT Fairford - two were displaying and on the final pass, one came in along the runway at 100' probably around 200 knots, and the other came in from behind at about 50', just sub-sonic, you didn't hear the fast one until it had gone by, then there was a hell of a crackle. Still sends shivers up my spine now.

The Avro Vulcan always gave a fantastic display, but the English Electric Lightning was my favourite - at the end of its display, would come in level to mid-point of runway, then hit the reheat (afterburners), stand on its tail and disappear climbing vertically, slowly spiralling out of view. I believe the Lightning still holds the vertical climb record, something in the order of 50,000+ feet per minute.

Jon,

I remember the lightnings at shows, very impressive. I should saving up and go to South Africa were there are two or three still flying.

Graeme

• 3 weeks later...

A few years ago I met a guy who had been a RAF ground engineer for Lightnings.

My favourite remarks from him was that they were known in the RAF as Frightnings and they did not come into land - it was termed a controlled crash. This was due to the stubby swept back wings which made the aircraft unstable at slow speed before the days of computer controlled fly by wire systems.

A few years ago I met a guy who had been a RAF ground engineer for Lightnings.

My favourite remarks from him was that they were known in the RAF as Frightnings and they did not come into land - it was termed a controlled crash. This was due to the stubby swept back wings which made the aircraft unstable at slow speed before the days of computer controlled fly by wire systems.

Hi Mike, from that point of view there was liitle difference to the Starfighter, but the Lightning had 2 - 2½ the wing area and the wings were designed for high speed flight, but being able to go ballistic when climbing almost vertically was something else - the swept back wings were transferred to the Tornado, with wings being swung forwards for lower speeds and landings. With planes every landing is a controlled crash ( as I usually say to my wife when we're coming in to land!) it's just how controlled?

• 2 weeks later...

In aviation people are used to call a bad landing "an arrival" or

The pilot landed the aircraft performing happy jumps, in this case the landing time was expressed as: on the ground at 1030..31..32.

To many to mention them all.

In the early 60th I had the sad opportunity to witness an F104 crashing on the U.S. airbase at Bitburg. The plane was the first Starfighter presented in Europe and was flown in from the Azores. During the show the pilot misjudged the hight while performing a looping and flew straight into the ground. When he noticed that there was not enough sky below him he ejected, but too late, he hit the ground before he managed to separate from the ejection seat. At the time ejection seats were less sophisticated and did not have the capability to redress and gain hight for separation as they do now. Very sad for the poor chap.

Jean