Hello, just been online to renew my free road tax and the website notes that as the vehicle is over 40 years old it is exempt from MOT, UNLESS it has been substantially altered which includes alterations to the suspension or running gear. I am having the car tested anyway, excellent local garage where the tester has an excellent eye for detail, on the website you can click one of two choices, not altered, so no need for MOT or altered and continue with MOT. Do uprated springs class as an alteration?, I have CV drive joints although have reverted to lever arm dampers. I think we need to be careful as this could affect insurance, cheers, Andrew

Your modifications should not be enough to affect MoT exemption but...

- all mods must be logged with your insurer, regardless of any MoT exemption. Just my opinion of course, not to be relied upon.

- personally, I prefer to have a qualified expert check my classics each year, even though it's no longer compulsory.

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Triumph

I agree that having an independent qualified person to look over a 40+ year old car is a good idea in theory. Three weeks ago I decided to put my 1972 TR6 in for an MOT. I had been having some vibration from the drive train but had not been under it to investigate, so thought 2 birds with one stone, get somebody professional to look at it closely up on a ramp.

The car passed the MOT with one minor advisory (number plate light inoperative) and the tester told me that he could see nothing obvious to cause any vibration. I drove the car and again there was vibration or was I imagining it? Time to have a look myself. I jacked it up and put it on axle stands as high as it would go. Checked everything and found that the rear propshaft UJ was knackered, one cup had lost all its needle rollers.

Propshaft refurbished by Proptech in Kidderminster for £120 and now it is smooth as silk.

I will not be going back to that garage again.

Mick