Hi,

I am in the process of fitting a front anti-roll bar to my TR2 and it occured to me that it may be a good idea to fabricate and fit a simple type of Panhard Rod to the rear.

I would appreciate any constructive comments regarding this.

I am more concerned with good handling and safety rather than track use.

Regards, Colin

The fitment of a front anti roll bar alone will give large amounts of understeer, it stiffens the front end alone.

the Panhard rod will better locate the rear axle across the chassis but not help it with anti roll.

Front anti roll bar fitment needs a suitable rear anti roll bar also to balance the handling.

Oh... and then you need to drive it fast enough to use them to benefit from them.

Mick Richards

Hi,

I am in the process of fitting a front anti-roll bar to my TR2 and it occured to me that it may be a good idea to fabricate and fit a simple type of Panhard Rod to the rear.

I would appreciate any constructive comments regarding this.

I am more concerned with good handling and safety rather than track use.

Regards, Colin

+1 for Micks comments - understeer is a common result. Some used them on the Hot Rod ovals but then you have to soften front spring rates etc etc so just used to adjust handling with different coil springs and most didnt fit a bar.

We did use a panhard rod ONLY because the rear suspension was 3 link with 2 x coil-overs on the back each side and a centre link on top of the diff housing, so the panhard bar was partly to stop lateral movement of the rose joints on the axle.

On that set-up we put a slight angle on the bar so as it flattened in corners it would push the axle over slightly and help turn in, and it seemed to work but I cant really think of a useful purpose on a standard TR2, and as Mick says a roll bar can be a pain to get right..

Kevin

I have a 1950's made Pan-Torque rod for a TR. It is simply a panhard rod to stop axle sideways movement, with an UJ at each end to stop axle wind up.

It clamps round the chassis one side of the car and is attached to the rear spring to axle mount on the other.

It is for sale if any one is interested. SOLD

I have only ever seen one other and that was fitted to the private entry TR3A rally car of Sam Fisk and Ian Grant. (Tulip Rally 1960?) That car was restored by Sam in the 1980's in the Wallingford area.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT