I know this subject has been done to death so please accept my apologies for asking a specific question about my engine!

CP PI engine with standard CP cam fitted. I have found true TDC using a piston stop and degree wheel. Using the ELoO method I have found the mid point on cylinder 6. The equal lift figure is 1.45mm using a 2 DTI's. The only thing that I am not sure about is total lift. Exhaust is 6.51 mm and the intake is 6.35 mm. Appreciate it is only a small amount and just wondered if that was OK?

I am able to get the cam gear fitted exactly on TDC (without a vernier gear).

Is it good to go?

First time I've ever done this so please be patient.

Many thanks,

Colin

Hi Colin,

You are just a couple of days ahead of me:)

Where do you measure the lift?

At the push rods or at the valves?

The rockers have a ratio of around 1.4-1.5 (not sure how much exactly).

The valve lift is around (NOT 11 mm) 9,5- 10 mm for a CP cam shaft.

Waldi

Edited by Waldi

Hi Colin,

Is it a new cam? If so, the discrepancy on lift values is too much. I measured a Piper and found it to be 1/6 as much, i.e. 0.001" variance.

Also, if I may suggest when fitting all new gear, to advance the valve timing 2-3 degrees from nominal to compensate for the coming stretch which can retard is as much as 6 degrees when worn ( crankshaft degrees, not camshaft ).

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Yes brand new cam. I'll double check tomorrow. Should I check the lift on another cylinder if I confirm the lift is different?

When you say advance, does that mean 2 or 3 degrees BTDC when rotating clockwise?

Thanks,

Colin

Colin,

Just a thought: did you apply thick grease on the lobes, like graphogen? That may increase lift.

Waldi

Edited by Waldi

Hi Waldi,

I have done it all again and John was correct in that the error was me. I needed to ensure the dti's were rigidly in place.

Please let me know if you need any info as I am ahead of you☺

Colin