Hi Folks,

Another question which I can't get my head around. My car as a late TR4 [July 1964] is displaying strange combustion. Twin CD175 Strombergs are fitted. Numbers 1 & 4 spark plugs look as if the mixture is leanish, whereas numbers 2 & 3 look as if the mixture is too rich! How can the front carb create lead cylinder lean and trailing [#2] cylinder rich, and the rear carb create lead [#3 cylinder] rich and trailing [#4] cylinder lean? To my amateurish eye, it just doesn't make sense!

Best wishes Willie

Hi Willie,

if your inlet manifold is not tightened down fully or the gasket it leaking air then you could get your symptoms.

For instance if #1 has a leak and the carburettor adjusted to try to get a correct mixture then #2 (no leak) will go rich.

Roger

Hi Roger,

Here is the layout on my car from the Moss catalogue. That emission valve was obviously a TR4A feature. Mine takes rocker breath straight through the air filters to the induction manifold. I'll check tightness of the manifold bolts.

Best wishes John