About to bite the bullet and buy recon calipers but I am now wondering whether to go the whole hog and replace the discs as well.

Does anyone have recommendations for plain standard or drilled or drilled and grooved - I've been told that the grooved EBC ones make a noise from wind passing across the face. I am using green stuff pads and want to get the best results.

Even the fanciest brake discs are made from basic cast iron and the standard plain discs are ok.

I asked some people about drilling and grooving. Most of them think that drillings don't enhance the performance, but grooves can be worthwile when the brakes are intensively used, to help remove the gas/dust layer on the brake pad surface. For racing, I use the standard discs and have made grooves in them by a local machine shop. Ventilated discs and four pot calipers are something else of course;

Mike,

There is nothing wrong with the standard discs in a standard car, especially with Greenstuff pads, only thing I would add is there is cast iron and there is 'cast iron', so if you can get OE ones all to the good.

Ron

Thanks for the good advice - I had assumed that the only reason for upgraded discs is to aid cooling and bite when they are under hard use and my odd track day doesn't jusify the extra cost. I will check the existing discs this weekend as I think they are actually in quite good nick.

2 years ago I bought the Revington disks, grooved and drilled. I use them with the EBC pads. This disks come from Australia and seem to be used on Australian Police cars. Very happy with the combination up to now. My previous disks did last for 33 years with one reground in around 79. A second reground would have brought them out of tolerance. Wonder if the quality is still the same ;)

Jean

I would agree that Revingtons drilled & grooved discs work well. I prefer Hawk HPS pads, I found EBC greenstuff a bit of a 'wooden' feel. This combination is good for general road work as they work from cold, but will also handle the odd Track day and a lap of the Nurburgring (but only one lap at a time!!!).

Guest harry dent

I have ebc grooved and dimpled disc,s complete with recon calipers ,green stuff and s/s braided hoses which have only done about 2000 miles or there abouts.Found them better than standard set up but decided to go 4 pot and vented disc,s.The EBC etc: are for sale at £170 including Post and Packing.Just need your old calipers in exchange.

Harry 0794 151 6004

Hi there,

I fitted the EBC grooved and dimpled discs and greenstuff pads last year, with standard recon calipers and haven't looked back. It's a pretty cheap way to improve on the brakes if you want to use the car for the odd track day or similar. I think that the single biggest difference is the lack of fade if breaking heavilly when the breaks are already warm. I did a 'just for fun' road rally last year and on lots of tight twisty lanes found the brakes to be faultless for several hours driving. With the previous standard setup, I reckon it would have lasted half an hour before losing efficiency. The brakes are much better than my wifes modern VW Polo brakes too I might add! There is a slight noise increase with these discs but to be honest it's negligible compared to all the other noises coming out of the six! Anyway hope this opinion helps!

Michael.

My previous disks did last for 33 years with one reground in around 79. A second reground would have brought them out of tolerance. Wonder if the quality is still the same ;)

Jean

I've still got the original discs on my 1st TR250. Over 200,000 miles and never resurfaced. Quite content with the braking performance using " semi-metallic " pads. They don't see track duty but the car does regularly do triple-digit speeds. Can't comment on the fade characteristics since they don't really get much persistently repetitive application, but I can't imagine much improvement short of modern ABS or other electronic wizardry- as it is they can lock up the tyres without difficulty. <_<