Lower trunnion

The lower trunnion outer bolt/bush assembly on the 4a has 4 dished water shields and 4 little sealing rings that fit inside. I looks logical that the dished side of the shields snugs up against the round end of the wishbone thus hopefully preventing moisture getting into the bushing. In the Moss catalogue (page 72) the water shield (item 97) is definitely shown facing the other way. (ie the flat side of the water shield is against the wishbone and the sealing rings toward the trunnion (2) and the other 2 facing the bolt head/nut.

Hopefully, my first interpretation is correct, if not, I have some dismantling to do.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by PYU940F

Hi Simon

I think what is shown in the parts manual is correct and in fact you do have them the wrong way around.

The plain side of the washer (97) should abut the lower wishbone. The sealing ring fits inside the dished washer and the nylon collar is pressed through, then plain washer.

Kevin

So, do you mean the bush is pushed through the sealing ring before the bush is pressed into the wishbone aperture? That mean a new kit for me as no way will the bushes come out of the apertures. B.....ks

On TR4A - TR6 (don't now how it works on TR4)

- stick the POM-bush through the dished washer

- both together in the wishbone aperature

- then set the sealing in the gap between

- stick the steal bush through

- set the washer made of hardend steal on it

possible proplems:

- to much paint (powder) in the bore / in the wishbone aperaturermature - you can't stick the POM bush in

- washers of mild tin steal - will be damaged by the steal bushs

- steal bushs must "look out" a minimum from the POM-bushs (too much paint on the wishbones?)

- the steal bush are later grapped between the hardend steal washers to slide in the POM-bushes

guess why I know (new washers of mild steal, bore in the POM-bushes too wide, steal bushs too short)

Edited by Z320

Thanks Z320

I think the reason I assembled wrongly is I cannot understand how the little sealing rings achieve anything useful when installed correctly. What do they do facing the trunnion or the bolt head? I am now going to carefully try and remove the steel tubes and bushes without damaging them. Think probably an impossible task.

Simon

Hi Simon,

when you get all together correctly you will realise how the seals work.

By the way the seals must be a little higher than the flange of the POM bush - and comperesed by the outer steal washer.

To be save I put some crease there, you can see all of that on my photo.

Ciao Marco

Thanks Marco

It has not taken me long to get back to exactly the same situation as this time yesterday, apart from a drive up the M25 to Moss to get new bushes and tubes. (I had to burn the old ones (new ones really) out).

I have made so many cock ups on this job I feel like a sixteen year old with a permanent erection.

Simon