Starter motor swap

On a roll now guys, so with the carbs off have taken the plunge on an alternator upgrade, and whilst I have the access I've been looking at the starter motor. At some point its been changed out to the latter TR3a/4 type starter. I have a spare high torque starter for a TR6 will this fit the 3 ? I wouldn't have bothered normally but the stater does make some rather worrying noises some times, and whilst the car is in bits if the high torque will fit its an FOC fix.

Important to know how many teeth on the starter motor.

2's & early 3's require 9 teeth, & they had shrink on ring gear on the flywheel

Later cars had a bolt on ring gear (you can feel the bolts through the starter hole) & the motor now had 10 teeth.

get it wrong, & you will bugger up both items !

Don't know how the '6 motor differs to the 3A on.

Bob.

No. TR5/6 starter is not a suitable fit in TR2/3/4/4A without modifications to the ring gear.

Re your TR5/6 starter..... If you have the TR2/3 flywheel with shrink-on ring gear you can fit the TR5/6 shrink-on ring gear to it (like a Vanguard had) and then use the TR5/6 starter motor with it. The bolt-on ring gear type is unique and there is not an easily available alternative ring gear of that fitting type with different teeth qty/size.

Probably more hassle than fitting the correct starter for the type of flywheel you currently have fitted, unless you expected to take the gearbox out.

Do you know what flywheel you have fitted?

Shrink-on ring gear or bolt-on ring gear type?

That determines the starter motor that should be used, or more correctly the gear size of the starter motor to get correct meshing. A real TR3 should have the shrink-on ring gear type as original. If you take the starter out the bolts that hold the ring gear in place can be seen, when the crank/flywheel is turned - if it is that type.

Get the right starter for the ring gear or it gets very noisy when the starter is actuated....

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I will pull the starter, hopefully, this week to check what has been fitted, but I've located a bill fo a tr4a flywheel along with a new clutch purchased a while ago (1985!) so not sure if the flywheel was fitted or just purchased. but think i will be replacing the starter with a suitable Hi torque unit whilst I have the access.

Update just pulled the starter motor and it has 10 teeth on the bendix but can't see any bolts holding the ring gear on any suggestions as to what starter I need ?

Edited by Graham

Light bulb moment couldn't see any bolts holding on the ring gear but had a 10 tooth pinion ?? Try turning the engine over ...guess what suddenly found the bolts so think I have a later flywheel fitted