2 speed wiper motor wiring

Hi Healeyman,

Welcome to the forum.

Can you turn your caps lock off.

Just follow exactly what AlanT has posted. You may disagree with his views but you will be wrong.

AlanT has invested a great deal of time and effort understanding these motors, the wiring etc.  His version is the correct version.

You are correct about pins 1 & 7 - there are connected internally.

Roger

5 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Healeyman,

Welcome to the forum.

Can you turn your caps lock off.

Just follow exactly what AlanT has posted. You may disagree with his views but you will be wrong.

AlanT has invested a great deal of time and effort understanding these motors, the wiring etc.  His version is the correct version.

You are correct about pins 1 & 7 - there are connected internally.

Roger

Sorry Roger, wasn't trained as a typist. I trust the picture of switch with black (earth) wire to pin 4, br/gr to pin 6 ,red/gr to pin 7 is from Alan and correct. My original switch wiring had black to pin 7, br/gr to pin 6, rd/gr to pin 4. and was working fine. Then started running anytime key was on. Bought new switch, wired as original,still runs with key on. Is it possible new switch has wrong operation internally. Don't know where to go at this point. My motor leads in harness are r/gr, br/gr, green, and black. I am confused!!

20 minutes ago, HEALEYMAN said:

My original switch wiring had black to pin 7, br/gr to pin 6, rd/gr to pin 4. and was working fine. Then started running anytime key was on.

That sounds as though the self-park contact in the wiper motor has gone faulty.  If it is permanently closed (earthed) the motor will run continuously.  There may be nothing wrong with the switch or its connections. 

Edited by RobH

Hi Healeyman.

As Rob states if there is a problem with the self park  circuit/track in the motor itself then it will continue to run when power is on.

The motor has a permanent 'live' (Green wire). the system is seeking an earth to work.

The self park red wire can short to earth - have a look where it is attached to the big cap on the motor. If that is OK then you will need to have a look inside.

Roger

On 11/12/2020 at 10:09 AM, RogerH said:

Hi Healeyman.

As Rob states if there is a problem with the self park  circuit/track in the motor itself then it will continue to run when power is on.

The motor has a permanent 'live' (Green wire). the system is seeking an earth to work.

The self park red wire can short to earth - have a look where it is attached to the big cap on the motor. If that is OK then you will need to have a look inside.

Roger

Ok Thanks guys. Will open up as soon as my son brings it back to me. Could it just be an adjustment to round cap? Should i look for specific thing in cap?

If you take the top off the motor (you will have to remove the motor form the car:() you will see a raised contact that runs around the copper track in the lid.

Make sure there is a clear gap in the copper track and that the raised contact is sitting correctly on its peg.

Make sure that the red wire on the outside s not shorted to the casing.

Roger

On 11/12/2020 at 10:09 AM, RogerH said:

Hi Healeyman.

Roger

Does anyone have a picture of self park switch/cap wiring on the inside. I need to know what it is supposed to look like. Does the cap switch stay stationary as the motor runs and only a contact touches something inside ? have you ever seen inside contact come loose so it contacts park switch constantly?

Hi

There is no wiring as such inside the parking adjuster cap.

There is a copper contact disc with a section missing - see first pic.

There is a card insulator under this - second pic.  This needs to be in good condition.

On the main gear wheel is a 'bent' arm that scans around the copper disc - this needs to make clean contact.

The gap in the copper disc is the park position. This is where the bent arm loses its earth contact.

Can you posts a pic of your cap etc

Roger

P1060271a.jpg

P1060272a.jpg

Edited by RogerH