Distributor cap

I had a issue yesterday with the small spring in the top of the carbon brush in the cap, shown up by a miss fire. This is now the second time I've had to replace the little spring. The carbon part seems to be ok.

I've been using the Bosch WR78X with the 4 earth prongs, this plug has much larger gaps and I've wondering if this is the issue for the burning perhaps?

I'm using the Accuspark electronic ignition.

I will try putting back the old NGK BP5ES plugs.

Has anybody had a similar issue?

John

post-4191-0-64345200-1508224691_thumb.jpg

I would look for mechanical problems inside the distributor.

Maybe under repair something went wrong that the distance

between cap and finger is out of normal range.

Maybe you can modify an old cap with some wax or paste

instead of the carbon.

Fit the cap and look for the distance,

Edited by TriumphV8

Hi John

I had a similar issue some while ago. I agree with Andreas. In my case the distributor shaft was not fitted to the right height, after a refurb. I simply took the rotor arm off and shortened it a smidge by rubbing the bottom on some sand paper. Tape the sand paper to a flat surface and gently rub the bottom of the rotor arm on the sand paper, so as to keep it flat. Not much. No problems since, but I have to remember to do that again, if I ever need to change the rotor arm, unless of course I change the distributor or the shaft.

best Bill