My TR6 flyheel has some heat marks and basically does not look good. Should i just give it a light sand and use or get it skimmed ?

advice appreciated

Thanks

Len

Hi Len,

they do suffer heat cracking but it is usually confined to the surface and has little depth.

If the surface is flat/smooth then live with it.

If it is rough/uneven then get it skimmed.

Roger

My TR6 flyheel has some heat marks and basically does not look good. Should i just give it a light sand and use or get it skimmed ?

advice appreciated

Thanks

Len

Hi Len,

Get it refaced by taking off about .010", if that does not remove the marks then you need to reassess the situation. You may find that the face of the fly wheel is warped and much more metal would have to be removed. There is a minimum thickness required? TRs respond very well to lighten flywheel! Also have it checked for balance. What is the crankshaft end float like as one of the ways to burn the flywheel face is keeping your foot on the clutch at traffic lights and not in neutral!

Bruce.

looking at the flywheel today with my glasses on....it looks more like rust than heat marks,,,maybe where its prior owner left it standing for long periods, crank endfloat was good before it came apart.

len