TR7 No 44

Guest MAF260

I own car 44 and am looking to sell it. I've owned the car for around 10 years, but never driven it! It needs work to re-commission it, but may be interesting for somebody to save it. Although built in 1974, it was registered in 1976 on an 'R' registration. The Heritage certificate doesn't provide any clues as to what happened to it for the first 2 years of its life and any amount of searching has so far turned up nothing. The car is a FHC and was originally Purdey yellow (can't remember the name of the colour!) and automatic. Not sure if it was the 1st automatic made or not. It's been converted to V8 manual spec, but has never been finished. I bought it as a crude home-converted P6 V8 auto and started replacing parts with better items, genuine TR8 Xmember, SD1 engine & 5-speed box etc. It could quite easily be finished, or perhaps returned to its former glory if it is indeed the first (or earliest in existence) automatic. Currently stored in Lincolnshire. The reality is that I'm never going to get around to finishing it. A wife, 2 kids, various house moves and another TR7 V8 in full working order have put paid to that! If there's any interest here, please let me know via the forum or e-mail me direct for more details.

Regards,

Thanks for that. If you read through previous posts on this board you will see that Chris Turner has ACG94 running (and in nice original condition) which may be the earliest car on the road in the UK. Not to say there aren't a few earlier UK cars (ACG 5 and 6 for instance) in the hands of TR7 enthusiasts.

Your car would actually have been part of the pilot run of approx. 50 home market cars made between June 1975 and October 1976 (hence the 1976 first registration). Where did you come up with 1974?

Malcolm.

Malcolm, my car is ACG 97 and is featured on the TR7 page of Roberts website www.triumphtr.co.uk

The first UK spec TR7 made to sell to the general public was ACG36 and the first 35 were the pre production cars used for testing and demonstrations to the trade and press etc. My car was registered as a demonstrator by Mann Egerton on the day of the UK release. The car is now my avatar.