Clutch master cylinder removal

Still a reproduction item presumably Stuart?

Yes but remember what I said about retaining your original pushrod.

Stuart.

I have to say that during this saga of my clutch slave/master cylinder problem I have again been disappointed in how some suppliers are misleading (either deliberately or mistakenly) the description of items we are offered. I think as a club we should be insisting to suppliers that they indicate whether these products are genuine or reproductions to save us the time spent in contacting them to find out what exactly we might be getting. For example when I see an item advertised as Girling I do not expect a Girling 'type' or copy!

Yes but remember what I said about retaining your original pushrod.

Stuart.

Will do Stuart. Just a thought, could the dreaded broken thrust bearing retaining pin be a cause of my problem? The thought of engine/ gearbox out is keeping me awake!

Cheers.

Wouldnt have thought so as that doesnt improve with pumping up the pedal.

Stuart.

Many thanks Stuart for your comments & advice. My clutch problem has indeed seemed to have been the master cylinder as you suggested. We changed the slave first as it was a slightly easier job but that actually made the problem slightly worse!

Anyway replaced the M/C, bled the system again & after a few miles it seems back to normal!

Now I have a slave cylinder made in Taiwan & a master cylinder made in China, with the loss of good old Girling items. What progress!

Cheers.

Hi Monty,

Keep the old Girlings, you can send them for reconditioning later, if the bores are worn or corroded.

Regards,

Waldi

Hi Monty,

Keep the old Girlings, you can send them for reconditioning later, if the bores are worn or corroded.

Regards,

Waldi

Thanks Waldi, yes I was going to do just that.

Cheers.

Just a point on original Girling master & slave cylinders. I used to work as

a production engineer back in the 1970s at the foundry that produced all the

Lucas Girling castings for Leyland, Ford & Vauxhall etc. including the Honda

F1 team & high speed inter city 125 trains. No longer in existence sadly.

So to my mind all components are reproductions of the originals.

Harvey S.Maitland