Deformed rocker cover

I have 3 spare rocker covers that range from moderately to badly deformed from over-tightening. Has anyone had any sucess with straightening the lip? I've got a new silicone gasket that will probably take care of most of the leak but it would be nice to get the cover back into shape.

I did a little experimenting on the bench and found that the covers are very resistant to movement. I don't want to make matters worse.

Tom

Tom,

Is this a deformity of the actual flange that carries the gasket, or a more general twist of the cover?

The long six-cylinder covers are prone to the second.

Twisting them back, until they lie flat on a flat surface (kitchen table top? Don't tell 'er indoors) is efective.

The first is a feature of leaky sumps, and always due to the DPO having over-tightened the bolts. The flange around the bolts gets belled, so that there is less, not more pressure on the gasket between the bolts. The answer is to carefully flatten the flange, with a hammer and flat anvil-piece, until there is no light to be seen between straight edge and the flange.. No flange bolts on a rocker cover, but the same could be applied to bent flanges.

I have explained the process in more detail in Another Place: http://forum.tssc.org.uk/index.php?/topic/108-correcting-the-sump-flange-to-prevent-leaks/?hl=%2Bsump+%2Bflange

John

Hi Tom,

a hammer, drift and a dolly to lay it on. However whatever hits the cover make sure it is wood or plastic.

If you start bashing steel with a steel hammer/drift then you will stretch the metal and that is not good.

Wood or plastic will bend the metal but cause less stretching,

Roger